FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Apr 22, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #1,922 of 1,960
I've just finished with the FatFreq tour kit. Thanks to @Damz87 and @Sebastien Chiu for the opportunity. My impressions below listening out of a Mojo 2.

I mostly listened to the Scarlet Mini. I was very intrigued when they promised the most bass in an IEM ever and they did not disappoint. The bass is thunderous. Not as visceral as some of the more expensive IEMs with bone conduction (Mest3 for example) but in terms of quantity and depth, these are next level.

I started off with some Final E tips and the stock cable and was not impressed. The bass completely overwhelmed and they were overall quite congested. Then I switched to some wider bore Spiral Dots and things were a bit better. Then I switched the stock cable out for my EA Ares/Cadmus Xmas hybrid and that was a big improvement. The bass remains huge but the mids and treble came up more providing a bit better balance.

Technical performance seemed solid for their price range but not spectacular. I feel like these are a niche IEM that would be great in a collection but not as a daily driver. I listen to some old school dub step and the Scarlet Mini is FANTASTIC for that genre with it's deep sub bass focus. It was an incredible experience listening to that combo. They're not terrible for other genres but are not ideal.

The Maestro Mini is more V-shaped. The bass is dialed down slightly, but still huge by normal standards. The treble is more elevated and I found it a but harsh/metalic. You might prefer these if you like zingy treble but I think the Scarlet is the one I'd want in my collection.

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #1,923 of 1,960
I just got the chance to buy the SM from a fellow forum member and since I'm also a big TOOL fanboy, I'm so much looking forward to hear the drums of Danny Carey and the bass of Justin Chancellor making my eardrums shake :metal:... finger's crossed that the SM also perform well with bass heavy Prog. Metal :fingers_crossed:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #1,925 of 1,960
I just got the chance to buy the SM from a fellow forum member and since I'm also a big TOOL fanboy, I'm so much looking forward to hear the drums of Danny Carey and the bass of Justin Chancellor making my eardrums shake :metal:... finger's crossed that the SM also perform well with bass heavy Prog. Metal :fingers_crossed:

What are your go to reference TOOL tracks?

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #1,926 of 1,960
What are your go to reference TOOL tracks?
IMHO here are some especially bass driven songs where the drums and the bass guitar kick in just a tad more than usual:
-in no particular order-

• Reflection
  • The Pot
  • Invincible
  • Jambi
  • Pneuma
  • Forty Six & 2
  • Flood

Just for a small playlist, hope you like it :wink:

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #1,927 of 1,960
Tomorrow Fiio K9 AKM will arrive ! well see if its worth 1.5x price of k7 + pl50 power supply.

HYPE for scarlet !!! :)

Currently torturing scarlet on titanium HD soundcard xDD

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #1,929 of 1,960
Shall we begin testing? :)

Attachments

• fdssd.jpg
    fdssd.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #1,930 of 1,960
My Scarlet Mini IEMs (henceforth, "SMs") finally arrived after a somewhat long wait, but it was all good because the kind folks at FatFreq made up for it by including a couple of freebies.

Some quick initial impressions after 10 or so hours of listening:

• These are the only IEMs I have ever owned that do justice to sub bass frequencies. On tracks such as the unimaginatively-titled "Sub Bass Excursion" by Bass Mekanik, the low-end rumble is typically imperceptible on most IEMs. The SMs are the only ones that have been able to deliver a subwoofer-esque experience, with the pulsing sub bass coming through loud and clear. Another track that I frequently use for testing is MJ's "Billie Jean" (specifically the opening), where the kick drums sound lean on many IEMs I've owned. On the SMs, there is more heft to them — again, akin to a speaker system with a well-integrated subwoofer.

• Purely based on my subjective taste, the SMs could benefit from some EQ tweaking. While not flabby or bloated, the bass can be a tad overwhelming, creating the impression of slight 'wooliness' in the mids and a presentation that leans towards the congested side. I would also hazard to say that these IEMs lack the "high-end sizzle" associated with the stereotypical 'audiophile' sound. I have personally not found my EQ sweet spot yet, but am absolutely convinced that I will be very happy once I do.

• In my view, the SMs currently sit in their own rarefied space and offer a differentiated experience that sets them apart from other IEMs. They will certainly not be the daily driver for anyone apart from the most ardent of bassheads (or those who crave having a subwoofer-on-the-go), but the uniqueness alone makes it a compelling addition to one's collection.

• TLDR: The SMs are a keeper for me.

2024-04-23-09.12.10 ZS PMax_Edited_4K.jpg2024-04-23-09.08.48 ZS PMax_Edited_4K.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #1,931 of 1,960
These are the only IEMs I have ever owned that do justice to sub bass frequencies. On tracks such as the unimaginatively-titled "Sub Bass Excursion" by Bass Mekanik,
Try another classic bass test "dj billy e - beats 4 my van" :) for sure u know that :floatsmile:

Well testing fiio k9 akm will take a while, a forgot most of dac need some run time to get full potential :) at least 50h ~~ .

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #1,935 of 1,960
Yeah, I also was nearly shocked when I had to look up the lyrics to that song... but something like that, nowadays, where western countries like to establish an extreme conservative society (rooting from the left, believe it or not), it is a small miracle that such lyrics still are allowed to stream. I just hope that cancel culture won't affect music as an art form too much so we can continue to listen to Aphex Twin 🤣

(hope everyone gets the irony)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back