FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Apr 27, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #631 of 2,057
Received a most appreciated care package from the good folks at FATfreq yesterday evening.

As noted, they stuck to their guns on all modules being shipped out to early purchasers at no additional cost. Always nice to be treated well and to see companies nurture early adoption, I went ahead and treated myself to the fancy new gold upgrade cable for the GM.

20230427_103238_HDR.jpg

I also schmoozed them into a T-shirt sale :) Very useful in getting my freq on! Seriously, earphones sound better with matching T-shirts, maybe it's a sports thing...

20230426_200041.jpg

The upgrade cable is stunning, aesthetically a much better pairing with my customs, whereas the standard cable looks custom matched to the universal more I think. Fun trivia(?) my OG custom doesn't have the standard 16th note Maestro logo, instead saying FATfreq on the right piece, I guess they hadn't yet finalized the artwork :)

20230427_103256_HDR.jpg

I like the case they provide with the GM upgrade cable... complete with Maestro flare. I have mainly been trying out the new upgrade cable rather than rolling modules yet (new blues shown).

20230427_103558_HDR.jpg

Shown top to bottom respectively: GM Upgrade (GMU), MSE Upgrade (MSEU), GM Stock (GM).

The GMU is very supple and light, particularly compared to the hefty GM. It has a much thinner wire gauge than the other two, but this is compensated by an 8 W topology (vs. 4W, 2W on MSEU GM). GMU is gold, MSEU is silver and GM is a mix of silver and copper (yay cable colorology, I guessed right).

20230427_103645_HDR.jpg

All 3 cables feature a modular connection system, oddly different in each case. The MSEU is quite bulky compared to the GM and even more so the GMU, although its 90 degree bend may be appreciated by some users. The GM uses a much simpler resistance plug (just line up 4 pins and push) although it is quite long.

The GMU's hardware features a very similar (suspect compatible) system to EA's Conn X, the different TRS modules are screwed into the connector hardware - EA's system seems really nice to me, I've found it be quite good on my Code 23, so I am happy to see something similar here!

Aesthetic wise, the TRS connector hardware is night and day better on the GM pair. Both feature the Maestro sixteenth note branding, although the GMU's is suitably even fancier with its flare and branding.

I can't say what a HUGE improvement all of these cables are compared to the OG stock cable that shipped with GM's and MSE's last year. FATfreq have done an exceptional job responding to customer feedback on this topic in my view, and I am so happy to be the beneficiary :)

20230427_103710.jpg

Y split barrel pic. I like that the GM's chin slider actually works :p I find the other two require a fair amount of jiggery to stay put for any length of time, YMMV.

Practically, between the GM and GMU I am a bit torn. I really love the GM copper beast... seriously the thing has close gauge to the Code 23. But connected to very light weight custom housings, that cable's comparable rigidity becomes something of a liability. I feel much safer using the very light weight GMU with them (mainly just my paranoia), but it certainly helps that the gold cable pairs so nicely to the eye with the gold font used for the custom plates... my pics really don't do it justice. All 3 cables really are very nice, I don't think you can go wrong beyond preference to taste.

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #632 of 2,057
Received a most appreciated care package from the good folks at FATfreq yesterday evening.

As noted, they stuck to their guns on all modules being shipped out to early purchasers at no additional cost. Always nice to be treated well and to see companies nurture early adoption, I went ahead and treated myself to the fancy new gold upgrade cable for the GM.

20230427_103238_HDR.jpg

I also schmoozed them into a T-shirt sale :) Very useful in getting my freq on! Seriously, earphones sound better with matching T-shirts, maybe it's a sports thing...

20230426_200041.jpg

The upgrade cable is stunning, aesthetically a much better pairing with my customs, whereas the standard cable looks custom matched to the universal more I think. Fun trivia(?) my OG custom doesn't have the standard 16th note Maestro logo, instead saying FATfreq on the right piece, I guess they hadn't yet finalized the artwork :)

20230427_103256_HDR.jpg

I like the case they provide with the GM upgrade cable... complete with Maestro flare. I have mainly been trying out the new upgrade cable rather than rolling modules yet (new blues shown).

20230427_103558_HDR.jpg

Shown top to bottom respectively: GM Upgrade (GMU), MSE Upgrade (MSEU), GM Stock (GM).

The GMU is very supple and light, particularly compared to the hefty GM. It has a much thinner wire gauge than the other two, but this is compensated by an 8 W topology (vs. 4W, 2W on MSEU GM). GMU is gold, MSEU is silver and GM is a mix of silver and copper (yay cable colorology, I guessed right).

20230427_103645_HDR.jpg

All 3 cables feature a modular connection system, oddly different in each case. The MSEU is quite bulky compared to the GM and even more so the GMU, although its 90 degree bend may be appreciated by some users. The GM uses a much simpler resistance plug (just line up 4 pins and push) although it is quite long.

The GMU's hardware features a very similar (suspect compatible) system to EA's Conn X, the different TRS modules are screwed into the connector hardware - EA's system seems really nice to me, I've found it be quite good on my Code 23, so I am happy to see something similar here!

Aesthetic wise, the TRS connector hardware is night and day better on the GM pair. Both feature the Maestro sixteenth note branding, although the GMU's is suitably even fancier with its flare and branding.

I can't say what a HUGE improvement all of these cables are compared to the OG stock cable that shipped with GM's and MSE's last year. FATfreq have done an exceptional job responding to customer feedback on this topic in my view, and I am so happy to be the beneficiary :)

20230427_103710.jpg

Y split barrel pic. I like that the GM's chin slider actually works :p I find the other two require a fair amount of jiggery to stay put for any length of time, YMMV.

Practically, between the GM and GMU I am a bit torn. I really love the GM copper beast... seriously the thing has close gauge to the Code 23. But connected to very light weight custom housings, that cable's comparable rigidity becomes something of a liability. I feel much safer using the very light weight GMU with them (mainly just my paranoia), but it certainly helps that the gold cable pairs so nicely to the eye with the gold font used for the custom plates... my pics really don't do it justice. All 3 cables really are very nice, I don't think you can go wrong beyond preference to taste.

I also received the leather case with my GM CIEM. It’s great! Love the magnetic clasp and there’s plenty of room inside. The FATFreq logo etched into the leather is a nice touch too. I’m working on getting some GM impressions posted, but honestly I’ve been enjoying these so much that it’s been an afterthought. On top of that these IEMs are so versatile with different modules and switch options that it’s quite a lot to grasp. I’m about 10 hours in listening since I received them on Tuesday and I’m still trying to understand them fully.

What I can say with utmost confidence is that the GM has the best end to end extension (black module/vocal mode off) I have heard from any IEM to date. It is phenomenal.

Apr 27, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #633 of 2,057
LOVE the shirt. Would love to buy one, too. I just hope shirt rolling not becoming a thing now... :unamused:
Also, PLEASE no selfies without a shirt!!! :rolling_eyes:

I like the case they provide with the GM upgrade cable...
I also received the leather case with my GM CIEM. It’s great! Love the magnetic clasp and there’s plenty of room inside. The FATFreq logo etched into the leather is a nice touch too.
Hmmm... are they offering the leather case on its own?

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #636 of 2,057
I am completely blown away by these. I’ve spent extended time with virtually every high-end priced IEM available outside of upcoming models and these are making a strong case to be the most complete IEM I’ve experienced, and the fact they have a variable tuning just makes it even sweeter. Loving the black module with the switch down (vocal mode off), which I’d describe as quite V shaped if the track is sub bass heavy, but there are tracks I have that don’t take advantage of the sub bass and treble lift so for those I flick the switch while they remain in my ears and the playback is equally as excellent.

These are not cheap IEMs, but I am legitimately struggling to grasp the concept of how much you get in one package here for the price.

With all that said, they won’t be for everyone as is the case with any IEM. These will never be warm, lush, organic, wetter sounding IEMs. They definitely always sound leaner, transparent, and revealing regardless of what configuration you’re using them on. But it’s oh so good…

IMG_4457.jpegIMG_4463.jpeg

Apr 28, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #637 of 2,057
With all that said, they won’t be for everyone as is the case with any IEM. These will never be warm, lush, organic, wetter sounding IEMs. They definitely always sound leaner, transparent, and revealing regardless of what configuration you’re using them on.
Thanks for that. I was debating the purchase of the universal version, but I will stay with the Maestro Mini.

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #638 of 2,057
I am completely blown away by these. I’ve spent extended time with virtually every high-end priced IEM available outside of upcoming models and these are making a strong case to be the most complete IEM I’ve experienced, and the fact they have a variable tuning just makes it even sweeter. Loving the black module with the switch down (vocal mode off), which I’d describe as quite V shaped if the track is sub bass heavy, but there are tracks I have that don’t take advantage of the sub bass and treble lift so for those I flick the switch while they remain in my ears and the playback is equally as excellent.

These are not cheap IEMs, but I am legitimately struggling to grasp the concept of how much you get in one package here for the price.

With all that said, they won’t be for everyone as is the case with any IEM. These will never be warm, lush, organic, wetter sounding IEMs. They definitely always sound leaner, transparent, and revealing regardless of what configuration you’re using them on. But it’s oh so good…

Which IEMs would you consider to fill that "warm, organic" void?

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #640 of 2,057
RN6 does that quite nicely :) It makes a really good complementary set to Grand Maestro.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Judging by the RN6 FR, it looks like my A12t will mostly fill the complementary pair hole I'm trying to fill.

I enjoyed your thoughts on the Grand Maestro.
Only makes me want mine that much more...

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #641 of 2,057
Judging by the RN6 FR, it looks like my A12t will mostly fill the complementary pair hole I'm trying to fill.

I'll get around to sharing something more meaningful eventually. I feel really lazy and I've just been enjoying them.

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #642 of 2,057
RN6 does that quite nicely :) It makes a really good complementary set to Grand Maestro.

Was about to chime in and say just this!

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #643 of 2,057
IMG_1250.jpeg

Go Blu + PLUSSOUND 11th Anniversary + FatFreq Maestro SE = my kind of Heaven on the go.

Apr 28, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #644 of 2,057
I'll get around to sharing something more meaningful eventually. I feel really lazy and I've just been enjoying them.
If you can include a quick comparison with the Maestro SE, it would be great !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back