FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Feb 2, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #1,651 of 2,059
Honestly, I can understand the frustrations of everyone having to wait ages for their orders. I ordered my Scarlet Minis in Oct last year and I have yet to receive them till today. I guess the only way I deal with it is to just tell myself that at the end of the day, it'll be worth the wait for the experience that awaits me, so let's try to stay positive despite all the problems Fatfreq have been exhibiting so far. 👍
I'm more just dissapointed because when I asked them back in November they told me it'll be December or January. January is now over and when I asked them a few weeks ago now it's January to February and I'm hoping when I ask them in a few weeks I won't just get February to March after that.

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #1,653 of 2,059
That said, I do understand it's a smaller company and they probably have way more orders than they expected.
They should refund a person’s money if they are asked with these kind of waits. There’s no way to defend that. There were sets available at musicteck.

One of which I grabbed yesterday!

And it’s insane. Really quite amazed by the treble and hell even Vocals sound pretty damn great.
IMG_0985.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #1,656 of 2,059
They should refund a person’s money if they are asked with these kind of waits. There’s no way to defend that. There were sets available at musicteck.
Being a smaller company, I could understand why they would want to avoid refunding as much as possible. Still, I definitely agree with your point since not everyone is willing to wait for their order as it gets delayed constantly.

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #1,657 of 2,059
You know, this is actually a pretty damn good overall set. Sure, the mids aren’t amazing but they’re aren’t bad at all. And the treble is pretty damn good. Of course you aren’t going to strap em on if you’re going to have a snifter of scotch and critically break down a Miles Davis album, but for pretty much everything else its just a very enjoyable iem.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #1,659 of 2,059
How bad is ear pressure buildup on the Grand Maestro vs the lower end models like Maestro SE or the Minis? I'm considering a pair of custom GM but couldn't wear the Maestro SE for longer than an hour before it became too uncomfortable to wear.
You think it was from no vents or the size? The SE was too big for me which means it is HUGE. I’ve heard the GM is the same size but that its shaped a bit differently making it far more comfy.

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #1,660 of 2,059
You think it was from no vents or the size? The SE was too big for me which means it is HUGE. I’ve heard the GM is the same size but that its shaped a bit differently making it far more comfy.
Honestly it was both lol. The SE physically hurt my ear but I also noticed the ear pressure buildup very quickly. Do the tuning nodules in the GM alleviate pressure adequately?

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #1,661 of 2,059
How bad is ear pressure buildup on the Grand Maestro vs the lower end models like Maestro SE or the Minis? I'm considering a pair of custom GM but couldn't wear the Maestro SE for longer than an hour before it became too uncomfortable to wear.

There is zero pressure buildup on the GM provided you are using one of the 2 current NOAH modules... The pending 'super bass' module may be fully closed and subject to resulting pressure differential.

I have a custom GM and a uni MSE. Particularly my right ear gets wicked buildup with the MSE, it actually seems to get worse the better the seal is. The minis (both OG and Scarlet) aren't so bad since they are so small you can wiggle them into an equilibrium.

I was skeptical of the benefits of equalization modules, but after experiencing it with the GM's bass (and the Rn6 as well) I am completely convinced this is a necessary part of replicating TOTL bass.

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #1,662 of 2,059
That's the biggest benefit going from MSE to GM. MSE is not vented at all, so you have to work around that. GM does not have that problem due to the pressure relief modules. Size will still be an issue, the switch may also be a cause for concern, but pressure buildup does not happen.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #1,664 of 2,059
There is zero pressure buildup on the GM provided you are using one of the 2 current NOAH modules... The pending 'super bass' module may be fully closed and subject to resulting pressure differential.

I have a custom GM and a uni MSE. Particularly my right ear gets wicked buildup with the MSE, it actually seems to get worse the better the seal is. The minis (both OG and Scarlet) aren't so bad since they are so small you can wiggle them into an equilibrium.

I was skeptical of the benefits of equalization modules, but after experiencing it with the GM's bass (and the Rn6 as well) I am completely convinced this is a necessary part of replicating TOTL bass.

If you had to choose between the RN6 or the GM as your CIEM, which one would you choose?

That's the biggest benefit going from MSE to GM. MSE is not vented at all, so you have to work around that. GM does not have that problem due to the pressure relief modules. Size will still be an issue, the switch may also be a cause for concern, but pressure buildup does not happen.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the answers.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #1,665 of 2,059
If you had to choose between the RN6 or the GM as your CIEM, which one would you choose?

I already chose the GM as my custom and went with Rn6 uni. FATfreq are a young company with strong roots in CIEM, whereas FiR/A64's tubeless tech has historically caused some tuning discrepancy in their customs... The Rn6 is also pretty tiny compared to the GM, so the uni is very comfy whereas the size of the GM and MSE really make custom nice ergonomicically.

Both are fantastic IEMs and I think you'll be really happy either way, good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back