Fates Warning
Feb 10, 2002 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
I'm such a nice person that I have had the majority of my Fates Warning CDs out on loan for some time. Getting them back last night was like being reunited with an old friend.

Fates Warning began their career as a British New Wave of Heavy Metal influenced American metal band. But unlike other American acts in this era, Fates Warning had far more impressive musicians and intelligent lyrics.

By the time they had released Awaken the Guardian, their third album, in 1986, Fates Warning had begun to sound more like a progressive metal band, sharing a small niche with bands like the then new Dream Theater and Queensryche.

At this point, John Arch, the original vocalist leaves the band. Arch was a true metal vocalist in the vein of Rob Halford and King Diamond. Although he is greatly missed, Ray Adler had perhaps a better fit for the band's new sound and direction.

In 1989 the band released Perfect Symetry with a new drummer and guest starring Kevin Moore of Dream Theater fan on keyboard. This album spawned the video "Through Different Eyes" that could sometimes be seen on MTV's Headbanger's Ball.

The band continued that direction through the 1991 release Parallels which also managed to snag a Dream Theater guest, this time James Labrie. This album is their best known album and holds all of the concert favorites like "Eleventh Hour", "Point of View" and "We Only Say Goodbye." They had only barely missed commercial success with this album, being only a little too far behind Queensryche's Empire and being its melodic and musical superior.

Dream Theater members have since continued to appear on their albums while attempts to achieve commercial success have completely ceased. Their albums are now what they should be--bold and experimental, with no compromise given to assembling radio digestable chunks.

A Pleasant Shade of Grey, 1997, brought on Terry Brown, the famous producer of Rush's best albums and brought the band into a more professional completion. A concept album of sorts, A Pleasant Shade of Grey is excellent headphone music and something I don't think any fan of progressive rock could be disappointed to own.

The continuance of this album was 2000's Disconnected, also produced by Terry Brown with the usual guest stars. You might have trouble saying which is better between this and Grey--I'm undecided.

If you'd prefer Fates Warning in something more easily sampled, I wholly recommend their live release, Still Life. The first album of this is A Pleasant Shade of Grey in its entirety while the second disc mimmicks most of what is on their Chasing Time compilation. They are, of course, an excellent live band.

If I've somehow managed to influence you, reply or email me and let me know. I've always felt a little sympathy for a band this good that has had no recognition. I've seen them live twice in bars and it just bewilders me how a band like this is still playing clubs while bands like Motley Crue can fill stadiums. Please give them a chance.

Kelly

Feb 10, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 9
I just want to say that I've been a Fates Warning fan for many years, and that was a pretty good synopsis, Kelly!

Feb 10, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 9
I've been a fan of theirs since the beginning although not as much recently. The drummer is amazing. I just wish that they would remaster the early stuff. I think that it would sound amazing!
Has anyone listened to Crimson Glory? Their "Transcendence" cd is one of the best of this genre.

Feb 12, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

If I've somehow managed to influence you, reply or email me and let me know. I've always felt a little sympathy for a band this good that has had no recognition.
Kelly

Kelly

I feel this way about a lot of the prog bands that I listen to, surely given a fair stab of airplay on the radio during sensible hours then many of the bands that we listen to would be a lot bigger. Unfortunately all the record companys at the mo seem intent on unleashing the next big boy/girl band on us (at least in the uk, I have no idea what its like in the states)

I have grown so fed up of mainstream music (westlife, steps s club 7 etc etc etc etc ad nauseum) that I refuse to listen to the radio whilst at work now.

I may be tempted to give Fates Warning a try as I'm leaning to the heavier side slightly at the mo thanks for the summary!

PS Thought you might like to read this review of the Fates Warning cd on the Dutch Progressive Rock Page

http://www.dprp.vuurwerk.nl/reviews/0034.htm#fates

Feb 12, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 9
Disconnected is a great album, but A Pleasant Shade of Gray is
better. The song "Still Remains" from Disconnected is awesome
though, but overall the album lacks the magic from A Pleasant
Shade of Gray.

Feb 12, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton
...all the record companys at the mo seem intent on unleashing the next big boy/girl band on us (at least in the uk, I have no idea what its like in the states)...

Indeed, it is the same, although not as bad. Or so I hear/read.

Feb 13, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 9
It is with a heavy heart that I report back to you the status of the Fates Warning DVD. You may not have known this existed. You may have, like me until this past weekend, known it existed but never seen it in a store. You may, as I did, see it used. It may seem like a good deal.

It is, in fact, the poorest concert DVD I've ever seen.

You can just tell that behind it all, their playing was good. But whether this is my imagination filling in the gaps, I'll never known.

Imagine the worst sound at the actual event possible. As if there was a monkey at the sound board ramming one instrument up and the others down, then switching.

Imagine this was the first DVD made and the video crawled on the screen. (Highlander, anyone?)

Imagine that the audio wasn't even good at reproducing the crap that was whatever they had to work with. And it's a short disc too, there's not really much excuse for such compression.

Let me put this in clearer terms. I thought something was wrong with my DVD player. I had to check Amazon to see what other people had said about it.

If you're interested in Fates Warning live, get Still Life, an excellent recording from the same tour. Do not waste your time on Live at the Dynamo DVD.

One other note: On the following tour (Disconnected) some friends of mine in a local band were supposed to open for them. The club screwed up and didn't get my friend's band on stage in a reasonable time and Fates Warning's crew came out to set up all of their equipment over an hour before they were set to take the stage. Fates Warning was cool to my friends, invited them into the trailor and said it sucked and all that.

I coudln't help but feel after having seen this video, that it may haev been a catalyst for them being a little more anal about getting their stuff set up properly. I emailed my friend that thought in hopes that it might ease the pain. My friends band had already gotten to open for Dream Theater once, but to me opening for Fates Warning was the other half of the fantasy. Maybe next tour.

Feb 13, 2002 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 9
kelly got me to listen to two of Fates Warning songs. The first one I listened to was a Black Sabbath remake song by them called Sign of the Southern Cross. He then sent me Through Different Eyes. I love the tone of their guitar tunes on these songs. I'll have to hear some more songs and go buy their album! It sounds so mythodical and the melody flat out gets drilled into your head. I couldn't stop humming it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back