Fastest and most Detailed iems for less than $100
Dec 16, 2015 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

seanwee

Headphoneus Supremus
As the title states , i would like to get some earphones that are the best at detail for no more than $ 100 .
This would normally mean Balanced Armature IEMs but im open to suggestions.

Any recommendations?

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 25
Single balanced armature IEMs though have less bass impact than many want, and hybrid IEMs with a BA and a dynamic driver tend to sound like the sound of the dynamic driver is just glued onto the sound of the BA. Besides which almost all the hybrid BA/dynamic IEMs are over $100. You didn't specify which types of music you listen to, and how important it is to you to have strong impactful bass. For classical music, a good single driver BA IEM is great. For bass heavy rock music, not so great.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 25
For classical music, a good single driver BA IEM is great. For bass heavy rock music, not so great.

I can live with the lack of bass since most (err 70-80%) of my songs are instrumental without the need for bass.

As for hybrids, ive only listened to the sony models but they sound overly warm for my taste.....do most hybrids sound like this? Or is this just the sony house sound?

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 25
I prefer clear and bright sounding iems. I like to be able to hear all the instruments playing at once without "blurring" together , good instrument separation perhaps?

Im okay with iems that sound fatiguing to most.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 25
I can live with the lack of bass since most (err 70-80%) of my songs are instrumental without the need for bass.

As for hybrids, ive only listened to the sony models but they sound overly warm for my taste.....do most hybrids sound like this? Or is this just the sony house sound?

There are BA IEMs with 2 or more BA drivers. Some also have a dynamic driver. Of course these are typically over $100. The Sony XBA-A2 has gotten great reviews. I haven't heard it. It is around $220 though. For under $100, the Sony XBA-100 looks interesting. It has a single BA driver. I haven't heard it.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #6 of 25
I enjoyed the sound of the UE 600s but they failed me in 6 months due to the TOTAL lack of strain relief on both the jack and the iems.I am looking for analytical sounding earphones.

No etymotics please i cant find them anywhere in my area.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 25
Most stores(except perhaps some in Japan) don't have a good selection of BA earphones. There is a good selection on Ebay and Amazon. Getting a chance to listen to IEMs before you buy them won't be easy. Many places don't allow IEMs to be returned(except an exchange for the same model if they are defective). 

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 25
I just went to japan last month and gods almighty they let you demo EVERYTHING!!!! From 1usd buds to studio monitors and planar headphones costing upwards of 50k usd.

Sadly i could only stay there for an hour.

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 25
I am no expert and I don't own too many pairs of IEMs but whenever the word "detailed" is mentioned for that price range, the Etymotic HF5 usually gets mentioned.

Yeah i get that a lot but sadly there are no merchants who ship them into my country.

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 25
You want the Sound Magic E80. It is super bright, very fast and detailed. And costs about USD 55 or so.

And it costs 75 usd in my country.That price difference.......
But anyways , its still within my budget. Hows the build quality? Would it last 2-3 years?

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 25
Yeah i get that a lot but sadly there are no merchants who ship them into my country.

B&H ships worldwide. On some things they have great prices, on others, not always so great. They are very reliable though. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 25
Etymotics or Audeos would definitely work for you. I have the Sony XBA-A2 and it is fast and detailed but not as bright as you may want. Plus it's out of your price range.

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #15 of 25
Etymotics or Audeos would definitely work for you. I have the Sony XBA-A2 and it is fast and detailed but not as bright as you may want. Plus it's out of your price range.

Etymotics are not available in my country unfortunately. 

Can you suggest any Audeos within my price range?

And i have tried the XBA-A2s before, Yes, you are correct, they sounded warm-ish and had a slight veil that smoothed out the micro-details.A bit too warm for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back