Fast headphones for Trance?
Jan 1, 2010 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Alexander01

Head-Fier
Mainly for using with a high end soundcard with HP amp. (like Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Bravura or Asus Xonar Essence STX/ST)

Prefer a laidback sound, huge soundstage, great detail and attack, airy high's, smooth mids, tight mid-bass and high resolution low-end/sub-bass.

I am leaning towards Denon AH-D7000 (based on feedback here) but how is the soundstage and speed with Trance? And does it have a too slow thick bass for Trance?

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 16
"laid back" and "intense detail and speed with strong highs" seems like a bit of an oxymoron
tongue.gif

do you have a budget in mind?

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 16
From what i've listend in the store already:

Sennheiser HD650, too warm,slow,muddy,bloated bass, veiled highs
AKG 701, less warm/muddy, better high's but almost no bass
Pioneer HDJ-1000 DJ, nice clear, good tight low end bass but too sharp sometimes.
Technics RP-DJ1200, almost identical to the pioneer.
Sony MDR-SA5000, very clear, detailed and fast but not a good low-end.

I wish there was a MDR-SA5000 with subwoofer low-end

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 16
I'm running D7000 out of my Auzentech Prelude right now while I look for a DAC and amp, I can't say it's fast at all for trance. Out of this sound card I prefer my ultrasone hfi-780, it's bass is tighter and faster. A good SS amp could help the Denon's thats what I'm looking for.

I would recommend ALO modded 780 from reviews here, they are supposed to be 90-95% of ultrasone edition 9's which cost over $1000.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 16
Shure SRH840 are like HD650, with slightley brighter sound and tighter bass, but less soundstage. Very good for electronic music.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 16
.. I am new, but what exactly do you people mean by "Fast"?

Last time I checked, headphones aren't meant to move.

I love to learn, so if someone can tell me what Fast means when it comes to headphones, I would be very appreciative.

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 16
Fast/Slow is a term used to describe the time interval between two notes. With fast headphones, you will be able to pin point every note in fast passages clearly, while in slow passages, it might not sound that good. Slow headphones may not sound as good as fast headphones in fast passages, but will sound better in slow passages. Some people make it seem as if a fast headphone is a better one, but a better headphone is a headphone with a balanced speed, not too fast not to slow.

Apologies if i made it too complicated.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by InFn-0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slow headphones may not sound as good as fast headphones in fast passages, but will sound better in slow passages.

Um...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiimote007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.. I am new, but what exactly do you people mean by "Fast"?

Last time I checked, headphones aren't meant to move.

I love to learn, so if someone can tell me what Fast means when it comes to headphones, I would be very appreciative.

Sound is a vibration, essentially. The sound from headphones comes from moving parts (in the case of dynamic headphones from movement in the driver/cone). The speed at which this responds to electrical impulses/magnetic fields determines how 'fast' it is. Slow headphones tend to sound smoother, whilst fast headphones tend to sound cleaner (in my experience).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish there was a MDR-SA5000 with subwoofer low-end

Can you clarify this a little for me? Are you looking for big bass, or do you find the SA5000 to have no bass? (I am interested in the SA5000 but I have no opportunity to audition it as sony refuses to let it be available in my country).

For what its worth, I've heard the AD2000 described as a warm version of the SA5000; warm typically refers to a midbass hump so this may be worth investigating. But I've also heard it is suited for acoustic music and rock music so I dunno.

If you're looking for huge subwoofer quality bass IMO headphones wont provide it. Of course, the SA5k is an open headphone *wink wink nudge nudge*

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 16
You should be able to find some Ultrasone Ed9's used at the $800 price range, they crop up occasionally at that price when sellers get frustrated
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what its worth, I've heard the AD2000 described as a warm version of the SA5000; warm typically refers to a midbass hump so this may be worth investigating. But I've also heard it is suited for acoustic music and rock music so I dunno.

If you're looking for huge subwoofer quality bass IMO headphones wont provide it. Of course, the SA5k is an open headphone *wink wink nudge nudge*

The AD2000 can't really be called warm although the mids are noticeably bumped. Sweet or forward would be a better adjective.
If you're looking for speed and mids for electronic, you'll be happy with them, but their bass is neutral so they won't satisfy you if you're a basshead, and their soundstage is just average (on par with the HD650's).

In my opinion, the JH13's are excellent with electronic, with the only issue being soundstage size. However, they're a bit out of your budget unless you buy a pair used and have them remolded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back