Fashionable replacement for HD580s and KSC-35s
Feb 21, 2005 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

xbkingx

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I love my Senn HD580s and Koss KSC-35s, but frankly, they're both damn ugly. Not Grado ugly, which would be ugly I guess, but ugly enough that I can't wear them in public without feeling a little too 'audorky'. I'm looking to replace both with some more fashionable/sleek/modern looking cans.

So, any suggestiong for HD580 replacements (around $200-$250, near same sound quality, same comfort)?
And for the KSC-35s (under $100, strong bass, better comfort, ear clip/overhead band/around the neck band acceptable)?

----->(no ear buds or canalphones, plz)<-----

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 13
rolleyes.gif

Senn 595
Senn PX100

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 13
Even better:

rolleyes.gif

Senn 595
PX100 Retro version

(The things one have to do in order to reach the first 100 posts)

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 13
I love the retro look of Grados.. I'll probably get the 225's some day myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xbkingx
So, any suggestiong for HD580 replacements

HD650
tongue.gif
. No but seriously, you wont get same kind of sound unless you get either HD600 or HD650 (even better). But if your out for looks alone I would go with ATH-A900, they look sweet
biggrin.gif
. I can't answer for how they sound though, never heard them.

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by zool
I love the retro look of Grados.

Me too, so I best not provide any "fashion" advice. Though, for a clip on, the AT's are insanely cool, YYMV.

Feb 21, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by zool
I love the retro look of Grados.. I'll probably get the 225's some day myself.

Agree!

Grados are cool, aluGrados are supercool and MSPro are the coolest of the cool
cool.gif

HOWEVER....

... if you are cool enough ...

JECKLIN FLOATS!!!
biggrin.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...9&page=1&pp=20

Feb 21, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by xbkingx
----->(no ear buds or canalphones, plz)<-----

Canalphones are the biggest hi quality alternative to the big "Cans." And they are very low profile. Have you tried them?

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Thats not cool. Thats completely barking mad
rolleyes.gif

I know!!!
biggrin.gif

I was just kidding
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 13
How about a pair of beyer 250-80, and a pair of KSC-75?

Feb 22, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 13
Sweet jebus you guys are quick!

First off, I'm sorry to all the Gado ppl whose toes I stepped on, but I prefer a modern look. I played with a pair of SR-60s for a month and hated em. But that's for another thread...
smily_headphones1.gif

Next, I own some Shure E2Cs, and auditioned some E3Cs for a couple months (didn't think they were worth double and I liked the more expansive (yes, you can read it as muddy) bass.) The Senn replacement is for a laptop rig, and the KSC-35s are for working out, which includes running outside. In the city. With cars that might make me squishy. Canalphones aid in the squishing process.

The 595s look nice-er. The 650s, like the 600s and 580s look a little too "Princess Leah's hairbuns are caught in the screen door again". I know, they sound great. I wish they'd use the HD590 casing. How are the EH series? And how do the PX100s, 200s and pxc250s compare sound-wise (I know the 250s have the noise canceling)? Are the Sony SA3000s worth the extra $100, and is the sound similar to the 580s (only a little more bass-y from what I've heard)?

Anyone have any good experiences with the AT clip ons? They're the best looking clip ons, IMO, and I'd be willing to pay the extra $. The KSC-75s look like they use the same comfort defying design of the 35s, which would be nice to get away from.

And yes, I knew someone was going to say that looks don't matter. But they do to me. And millions of others. How else would Sony selling so many crap cans at Best Buy?

Oh, and keep in mind none of these are going to be amped. I know Head-fi sacrilege.

Thanks for all the responses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back