fashion headphones
Mar 21, 2012 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

byte

New Head-Fier
I'm looking around for a modestly priced headphone that isn't the black plastic technophile-looking Sennheiser or Audio Technica aesthetic. It seems like both Wesc and Urbanears, which fit my price range, are pretty lousy quality. Any recs on some good looking headphones that are better quality?

I use a pair of ATH-M50s for some casual audio engineering nonsense so these headphones would really just be a backup and something to wear around campus (the M50S have a mess of a cord, so I don't take them away from the computer).

Thanks

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 13
Anything V-MODA looks and sounds awesome. I can recommend the M-80/V-80 (more neutral sounding) and the Crossfade LP2 (heavier in bass). They are also releasing the highly anticipated M-100 within the next few months if you can wait, they're going to be worth the wait. I own the M50 as well and I vastly prefer the V-80 sound signature. Their headphones are really easy to drive too so you won't need a portable amplifier.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Anything V-MODA looks and sounds awesome. I can recommend the M-80/V-80 (more neutral sounding) and the Crossfade LP2 (heavier in bass). They are also releasing the highly anticipated M-100 within the next few months if you can wait, they're going to be worth the wait. I own the M50 as well and I vastly prefer the V-80 sound signature. Their headphones are really easy to drive too so you won't need a portable amplifier.

x2 The M-80s are by far the best-looking headphones I've ever seen, and this is coming from someone who also likes the WESC look. The M-80s sound as good as they look IMO, which is hard to come by.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 13
Heya,

Get something with sweet exotic wood and made of high grade material, have the cord re-terminated shorter for portable use. FA002W or D5000 come to mind.

That would be fashionable.

Wearing something that looks like bubble gum, a transformer, or a toy gun seems absolutely stupid to me. But that's just me.

Very best,

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Heya,

Get something with sweet exotic wood and made of high grade material, have the cord re-terminated shorter for portable use. FA002W or D5000 come to mind.

That would be fashionable.

Wearing something that looks like bubble gum, a transformer, or a toy gun seems absolutely stupid to me. But that's just me.

Very best,

I agree I like something like the Denons... and the Lawton cups just top it off.

Although I'm a few years older than most of the people on the forum, if I was a teenager I'd probably snag something like this:

Pretty sick looking IMO. I'd rock that baby even at 31 : )

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B003BYRGJU/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332388855&sr=1-4

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
I agree I like something like the Denons... and the Lawton cups just top it off.

Although I'm a few years older than most of the people on the forum, if I was a teenager I'd probably snag something like this:

Pretty sick looking IMO. I'd rock that baby even at 31 : )

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B003BYRGJU/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332388855&sr=1-4

I have the gunmetal pair.

They look like transformers. And sound like a toy.

Classy stuff looks way better. I pay more for higher quality audio and classy looks. Style matters for sure. But so far, I've heard nothing that looks like a toy that doesn't sound like a toy.

Very best,

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
The V-Moda's look super sexy, I've never tried a pair or seen one in person before, but in the pictures they look nice.

Bass is bloated, mids are weak, treble is spiked and very edgy, it's a cold metallic sounding headphone. Very Ultrasone by comparison, but even less comfortable (velour bias). They're actually small for full-size headphones, I was surprised how tiny they are. This can be a good thing for someone looking for low profile, or a bad thing for someone looking for room for comfort.

If caught dead walking around with a headphone, for fashion purposes, something made of mahogany or zebra wood would be something I'd be cremated in.

Very best,

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #11 of 13
I have the gunmetal pair.

They look like transformers. And sound like a toy.

Classy stuff looks way better. I pay more for higher quality audio and classy looks. Style matters for sure. But so far, I've heard nothing that looks like a toy that doesn't sound like a toy.

Very best,

This exactly. I'd rather abstain from the techno-look as much as possible. I like, for example, the aesthetic for the Urbanears Plattan: minimal and simple.

Wood aesthetic headphones are nice but seem to be pretty pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back