Fashion (designer clothing)
Sep 30, 2003 at 7:43 AM Post #16 of 39
While I may be a political liberal, my clothing is very conservative. I don't even own a pair of jeans (I find khakis and cordouroys more comfortable...). Almost all of my clothing is from either Brooks Brothers an J McLaughlin for daily stuff, and Paul Stuart for formal clothing and tailored stuff. Nothing beats made to measure clothing. I am a short stocky guy, and I look and feel SO much better in tailored clothing. Sadly only my grey flannels were made for me, and the west coast is so unbearably informal that I never get to wear them. I have tie withdrawal over here....I had to wear a tie to school every day for 13 years, and here you can go to a four star restaurant in shorts! Sacriledge!

Sep 30, 2003 at 1:22 PM Post #17 of 39
This thread makes me feel like a tool.
frown.gif
Am I the only one that still buys whatevers on sale and looks good? I guess the only thing that turns me off from designer clothing is the amount of care needed to wash and keep looking new. I don't think I have the social drive to give more than 2 seconds of thought into caring for it. I had a tailor made suit before and it was totally ruined due to my lack of proper care for it.

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #18 of 39
$400 bucks bi-weekly on clothing?
(to make the number easy I'll assuming you take 2 weeks off a year from your furious purchasing schedule)
400x25=$10,000
Oh wait. Not USD, must assume, so 10^4CAD=7,403.60 USD

Have you considered professional help? I mean psychiatric help, not an assistant to help you keep up your current pace!

I'm kinda kidding. I buy all the gadgets I want and I have almost no savings(!!).. I now have a tempurpedic bed, an HP3 champ blender, W2002s, a DVD+RW set-top recorder, a Drumbuddy, etc. As soon as the production F828 from sony comes out I'll compare it to the Minolta A1 and the lower-end DSLRs and get the one I like most. The F828 is pretty intriguing. At least I sleep well, drink unbelievably smooth smoothies (The HP3 is the same unit found at smoothie shops and starbucks, just in different housing), listen to excellent music (oh, a collection of ~1200 CDs), and record from a TV I don't usually watch.. And soon I'll be able to take superb photos of all these happenings. Hmmmm. Perhaps I should take up Buddism.

Oh wait. Fashion.

I like to dress well often, but my approach has been to accessorize nicely and get core parts cheaper. Example: I go to BURLington/Ross/Marshalls (discount clothing stores in the USA) for most of my dress shirts and dress pants, and I only find stuff I truly love about a quarter of my visits (which is fine, since I like shopping for its own sake). I then buy pretty spiffy shoes and cufflinks and jackets and watches. I have 8 Pulsar Spoon watches (cheap on eBay!)! I've recently been getting flashier pants but I have not paid more than $85 for any one pair of pants (not a pricing rule, just an observation of my spending history). I have about 7 pairs of good shoes. Some miumiu, Robert Wagner, Jo Ghost, etc. I purchase infrequently, but when I find what I like for a good price, I clean up without any reservation. A YMLA store was closing here recently and they had this alarmingly good sale, so I went home with 14 shirts and 2 pairs of pants. If I find perfect pants (Like this $70 pair of JCrew slim stretchy pants at Ross for 16USD) I sometimes buy 2. If they're expensive but amazing (like these burberry pants I tried on in Japan but were a bit too small.. gotta locate them Stateside..) then I'll buy them with the same lack of reservation.

So for those brave or bored enough to get this far into my post, I guess I am as fanatical about fashion as I am about headphones: I find what I like and I buy it if it has bang for the buck, my upgraditis is quite managable since I already have units/items I truly like, and I care enough to come out of lurker status to make a post about it if I can shed light or just brag a bit
biggrin.gif
.. Oh, but I do sometimes dress somewhat slouchy, whereas I practically never don lesser headphones for music enjoyment.....

Oct 1, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by dokebi
Am I the only one that still buys whatevers on sale and looks good?

Nope. And sometimes I even stretch the definition of "looks good"... Quote:

This thread makes me feel like a tool.

Aw, don't feel that way...
[size=xx-small]What kind of tool, like a screwdriver or a hammer? Oh, never mind...[/size]

Oct 1, 2003 at 1:28 PM Post #21 of 39
1. reason why I really hate hiphop

well while shopping at a decently high end store called: harry rosen picking up a few shirts and stuff

I noticed these 3 thug'd out kids and their bitches walk in with trendy hip hop urban (but a cheap immitation company called exco) clothing (and they were all white kids at that) lol

all flowing with ebonics (as you know it's canada and we're just sooo thug'd out
rolleyes.gif
)

they were going through the clothes like they were big shots

one of the girls are like, hey this is what Jay-z wears, it's burberry, you should buy it,
the guy (who is like 300 pounds) is like pfft whatever, jay-z's a fag, I want some Prada, cause ya know p-diddy is straight fronting

i'm just standing there in awe, and so were the sales people
as they were just ripping apart the shirts (in plastic) on the shirt rack and OBVIOUSLY not going to buy anything

I'm soo surprised that they have such a mentality
My little brother is kind of like that too, and i'm not very impressed
he's like, why buy hugo boss, when you can get like Burberry and Phat farm

??$%$@?!

damned Rappers wannabees!, just cause the rappers can afford the Louis Vuitton, the Burberry and Gucci

god damn

Oct 1, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Nope. And sometimes I even stretch the definition of "looks good"...Aw, don't feel that way...
[size=xx-small]What kind of tool, like a screwdriver or a hammer? Oh, never mind...[/size]

I think more like a rusted philips screwdriver. You know.. the ones where the tip is gone and it ends up stripping screws. lol.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #24 of 39
I worked in Hong Kong for a textile company - basically, the big companies from Europe/North America send the plans to the Hong Kong office, and the Hong Kong office negotiates with the factories in China to get the best price and make sure that the clothes that are made are up to spec. Many of the famous brands, including Armani (not just A/X line) and Hugo Boss are made in China. Even the more expensive items such as suits. Basically the a taylor in a Chinese Factory making around US$250 (plus room and board in the factory dorms) makes the suit excluding the buttons and sends the item to Italy. Then after the Italian taylor adds the buttons, the "Made in Italy" label is added. Skilled labor in China is widely available. The same people who make suits for Sears make the suits for Armani. The difference is in the selection of more luxurious materials.

Oct 1, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #25 of 39
It can't be true in all cases can it? My dad and uncles are all into fancy clothing and all of their suits have a certain craftsmanship (Stitching etc) that I never saw in mainstream suits. Aside from material, they have a certain feel both physically and mentally that screams higher quality even without looking at the label.

Oct 2, 2003 at 1:47 AM Post #28 of 39
$400 bi weekly? gahh i wish i could throw around that kind of money. one thing i do like is the way i look when i dress nicely.

the most expensive stuff i have is from gap. im still 18 gimme some time
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 12:47 PM Post #29 of 39
absolutely correct
however that is why you have to look at the tag sometimes

Hugo sells to multiple vendors
so depending on the tailor house
they can purchase the designs and material and use the patent for the design from the big designers and use their names

EX. Kenneth Cole makes most of their suits in china
but the one made in Canada from stonehouse tailors looks exactly the same only it's made in Canada
But to be able to see the suit with the KC label, it must use a pattern/fabric from KC and their pattern

However that is where you can buy cheaper or expensive in the line of the label
Hugo Boss I buy is always tagged made in italy
the fabric for their mercinized cotton is just amazing
but i do know Boss does make alot of stuff in HK as well
I found Canali, Matanique and alot of italian brands including prada and armani to make thier stuff in italy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back