Farewell my little Maddie...
Mar 11, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #19 of 38
we had our dog put to sleep a few years ago.. she was 16 or so believe it or not...
Situation was similar to yours, it felt really horrible but it had to be done. Partially you want to keep the dog alive because you feel it is best to hold on to what you have with your pet, but you have to let the dog go if you see the situation is so desperate and the poor thing can barely function.

You did the right thing, and the effort to preserve her for as long as possible is noble. Don't feel guilty, everything has to end and for what it's worth I'm sure your dog loved you very much until it's last breath.

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #20 of 38
pets are a special kind of child. 18 years is a really good run. she must have had a lot of love, ed.

Mar 11, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #21 of 38
Thank you all for the kind words and support.

Here are more pics of Maddie as we remember her...

Edwood_MaddieSleeping_02.jpg

Edwood_Maddie_and_Dom_03.jpg

Edwood_Maddie_and_Ed_Sleeping_01.jpg

My personal favorite, trying to bite the hand that feeds...she puts the MAD in Maddie.
tongue.gif

Maddie_Bite_Hand_Feed_copy.jpg

-Ed

Mar 11, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #23 of 38
It is never easy losing a loved and cherished pet. Remember the good times and know that she lives on in your heart.

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #24 of 38
That's how Pixie stretches out beside me too...locks you into position so that there's no turning unless she says so.

I'm sorry for your loss. She had a good run, but that's not going to make you feel any better. Just allow yourself to grieve, and know that she wouldn't want you to feel unhappy for too long.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #25 of 38
Sorry for your loss - puppies are like kids that stop growing at about two years old - they can understand you pretty good, but they can't use words to tell you just what they want from you. That trains you to learn their "language" and makes you more sensitive to all beings around you, and forges a bond with the dog that is close and dear.

Our Labrador, Jet, is just past her eleventh birthday and she is beginning to show that she is near her end. It is sad to see her slowing down and feeling bad and good on alternate days/weeks, etc. She still wants to play for a few minutes each day and is still able to get around, but she is not eating well every day. She has been a loyal Pal to our Daughter, and has been Crystal's only constant friend. It is going to confuse and sadden Jet when our Daughter leaves home for the Air Force tomorrow. I hope this doesn't accelerate her decline.

Puppies like to run ahead, so they can be waiting for you. They love to show you what they have found. Maddie is exploring and waiting to show you fun stuff, and she feels all new again.

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Farewell my little Maddie. You gave us 18 years of love and happiness. We love you, and we will miss you...

Very sorry for your loss; words just can't express it. My fourteen year old springer Maggie is slowly losing the good fight; I hope we will know when it's time for her. Sounds like Maddie had a good long life and a really good mom and dad. She'll be waiting for you at the Bridge . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back