farewell Bob Hope
Jul 28, 2003 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

squirt

500+ Head-Fier
Wether you lov him or hate him he gave so much of his life to entertaining so many folks all around the world for so many years...Bless his soul...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2003 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 14
How could anyone hate him? Just attended a Hope film fest in Palo Alto about a month ago. Great stuff and it surprised me how much a lot of comics owe him (if you're a Woody Allen fan beware). Great obit at theTimes and good 100 list at USAToday. If you've never seen his early work, you should take a look. Young leading man chasing after Jane Russell and Dorothy Lamour's skirts... and usually falling on his face. Great stuff.

Recently saw "Louisiana Purchase", a sort of pariody of "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"... except Hope is the bad senator!

Jul 28, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 14
Bummer. He did so much for the troops to boost their spirit. He will certainly be missed.

Jul 28, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 14
i remember watching some program on him when it was his 100th birthday.... not my usual sort of humour, but a funny guy nonetheless.

he will be sorely missed

Jul 28, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 14
I had the honor of meeting Bob Hope backstage at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas around July, 1978. He was there to see the Tom Jones performance and wanted to come back and tell everyone how much he enjoyed the show.

I'll never forget the kind smile, charismatic persona, and sincerity of this man...not to mention his sense of humor.

We all knew this day was coming soon, but it seems you're always caught off guard by these things. Mr. Hope made contributions to our society that transcend the entertainment field (vaudeville, stage, movies, television, golf...etc.) He had the ability to make us laugh at the world and ourselves- even in the midst of world turmoil.

He was a very special inhabitant of this earth who was blessed with a century of life to make an impression,...and he certainly took advantage of those years.

Thanks for sharing your life with us, Bob!

Great reading:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

Jul 29, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 14
He lived a long full life. Nobody can ask for more. He will be missed, but it was about time.
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2003 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 14
I love "The Road" pictures. They are a scream. Probably set the stage for all buddie movies.

Jul 29, 2003 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 14
Ahhhh - Danny Kaye, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau and now Bob hope. I sure miss those guys... And Oliver Reed!
wink.gif
And Gert Fröbe!!! And... Why do we have to have such faceless stars like Tom Cruise instead, nowadays?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back