&%#@ Fans %&^#$!!!
Feb 16, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #31 of 33
I'm a long time member at overclockers.com forums, I used to run Delta screamers and Tornados, etc... but I've grown out of the extreme cooling / overclocking stuff. I don't mind a little noise, I just find fans annoying.

So anyways, I did some reading over there, and I spent some time at Silentpcreview as well. Turns out I'm just going to move into a new chassis. The Nexus fans are apparently rebadged Yate Loon fans, so I have three 120mm blowers on the way. I may end up only using two, I dunno.

I snagged a fan controller so I plan to run them down at 7vdc. A good cooling flow pattern should be easy with the new chassis.

Power supply is already equipped with a single 120mm which is quiet. ATI vid card has quiet cooling, still. Eventually that'll make noise and at that point, I'll probably go passive. Northbridge is already cooled passively.

As for the Socket A heatsink, it works well w/o alot of airflow, but I don't want to go below 25-30CFM. Its hard to find good heatsinks now, that mount via clip. I can't bolt thru the board (no mounting holes).

So I picked up a couple of the supposedly "quiet" 80mm fans to give em a try, if it doesn't work out... I'll probably do something crazy, like an AX-7 heatsink with a 120mm Yate Loon strapped on for good measure, by way of a fan adapter.

Meanwhile, when the new chassis arrives, I'm going to go through and sound dampen it. While results of that may be nill, I've got the stuff laying around anyhow. As for decoupling the fans, psu, and hdd, I'm not feeling thats a huge priority.. its not vibrations that bother me, it's really just the fans. I won't rule it out as a future mod though.

I find ball bearing fans work great... for awhile. Then they get progressively louder or start with the annoying "clicking" crap. My last fans have lasted in this chassis for about 4 years, maybe longer... I guess thats more than you could ask or expect from no-name $3 LED fans.

By the way, anyone want a real quiet 120mm fan? Check this one out. 8.7dB for 33.5CFM @12vdc... thats nuts!

Feb 16, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #32 of 33
The quietest fans are made by Panaflo - make sure you get the model without the tachcometer. They use a hydrowave bearings.

I can only hear the quiet woosh of the air. Almost no sound from the motor or bearing. And even the little sound that is produced is distributed evenly ovely the whole spectrum. So for example, 30db from a Panaflo would sound quieter than 30db from another brand.

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u can get them at sidewindercomputers.com

they have a few types

Pushpins

Rubber Fan Rivets

Rubber Fan Rivets - Dualhead Style

i personally prefer the pushpins as u can always reuse them. im not too sure about the rubber ones but i think u have to cut them off in order to remove the fan. so theyre a 1 time thing. the pushpins arent rubber though...theyre some sort of plastic

is that a good place to buy stuff? is there a better one place to buy stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back