Fans of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"....
Aug 22, 2001 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9
....my wife was just reading in the newspaper about a live performance album out called Down From The Mountain (O Brother, Where Art Thou?) that contains a concert that was held at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium by many of the artists on the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack. The O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack is easily one of my favorite albums of the last year, so I'm just excited as all heck to get it tomorrow. I actually just called the local Barnes & Noble to see if they had it so I could make a late run over there (around 10 p.m.), but they didn't have it in stock. I just sampled some of the tracks from Down From The Mountain on CDNow, and it sounds as though this is going to be a fantastic album. I believe they are also releasing a documentary film about this concert on DVD, which I'll also be sure to buy.

00397486.jpg

I'm also going to pick up Gillian Welch's Time (Revelator) album tomorrow.

00398078.jpg

The other day, I also ordered Furnace Room Lullaby by Neko Case & Her Boyfriends, which should arrive sometime this week or next.

00344810.jpg

Last week I picked up Lucinda Williams' eponymous folkish/countryish/bluesy album, which is a great listen (if not a great recording, despite the fact that it's a remaster)....

00063907.jpg

....as well as Diana Krall's When I Look In Your Eyes, which is a more classic romantic jazz collection, with Krall's sultry smooth voice. If you like Patricia Barber, you have to give Krall a listen too. Very different styles, no doubt, but both are great female jazz vocalists with super pianistic abilities.

00136634.jpg

Aug 22, 2001 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 9
I keep hearing good things about this O Brother movie. Guess I'm going to have to rent it and see what all the fuss is about.

Aug 22, 2001 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 9
Oh, all the feedback I've heard has been from friends and family. I've pretty much stopped paying attention to what the critics say, since their opinions frequently disagree w/ mine.

Aug 23, 2001 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 9
jude, I think we share some of the same taste in music......I really loved the movie and the soundtrack. I actually bought the soundtrack first, and it was kinda strange seeing George Clooney and Co. lip-syching to some of the songs. Anyway, it's a GREAT CD. If you like that kind of music, do yourself a favor and seek out John Prine's "In Spite of Ourselves" which has some fantastic duets with beautiful voiced female singers like Lucinda Williams, EmmyLou Harris, and Iris Dement (whose solo album "Infamous Angel" is absolutely stunning......I'm hoping to see her in person in Connecticut this Fall.)
If you like bluegrass, you must have the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Will the Circle be Unbroken" Volumes 1 and 2.
Man, I just love this music........and my Grados bring out that good ol' geetar twang real nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2001 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
jude, I think we share some of the same taste in music......I really loved the movie and the soundtrack. I actually bought the soundtrack first, and it was kinda strange seeing George Clooney and Co. lip-syching to some of the songs. Anyway, it's a GREAT CD. If you like that kind of music, do yourself a favor and seek out John Prine's "In Spite of Ourselves" which has some fantastic duets with beautiful voiced female singers like Lucinda Williams, EmmyLou Harris, and Iris Dement (whose solo album "Infamous Angel" is absolutely stunning......I'm hoping to see her in person in Connecticut this Fall.)
If you like bluegrass, you must have the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Will the Circle be Unbroken" Volumes 1 and 2.
Man, I just love this music........and my Grados bring out that good ol' geetar twang real nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

joelongwood,

Thanks for all the suggestions, man! Yeah, I like Lucinda Williams and Emmylou Harris, so that John Prine album may be on my next buy list.

Have you listened to the Down From The Mountain CD yet? Man, you have got to get that if liked the original soundtrack. The live performances (and some songs not on the soundtrack, also live) are just amazing. The Fairfield Four's interpretation of "Po' Lazarus" is actually -- unbelievably -- fun on this album (you'll know what I mean when you hear it). Gillian Welch has a couple tracks on here that are so cool you'll flip (they can also be found on her latest album Time (Revelator)). Every single track on it is good.

I think there might be a Down From The Mountain tour too, but I'm not sure. If it comes to town, I'm going to have to get tickets.

I'll also sample tracks from that Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's album you mentioned. This bluegrass thing is relatively new to me, but I'm absolutely digging it. Jack's uncle gave me a bunch of CD's with music from Flatt & Scruggs, Larry Cordle, The Chapmans, Longview, J.D. Crowe and the New South, and a bunch of other artists. It was a great way to get me kick-started.

Thanks again for the recommendations, joelongwood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back