Fans of Explosions in the sky...you need to hear the band "Mono" on your headphones
Mar 30, 2009 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio

Mono. And I would like to recommend the album "You Are There" They are a Japanese band, and through 4 albums, they have been working on a musical style that is, epic, forlorn, desperate, and absolutely gorgeous instrumental rock music. It sounds like what I wish Explosions in the Sky sounded like- these guys take it further- their quiet passages are quieter, and more beautiful, and when they get loud, they get louder and more dynamic. They also, IMO, seem to write more emotional and involving songs.

Not only that though, but the record quality is among the best I have heard. They record with Steve Albini, who apparently used vintage high end tube equipment, and this album shimmers with rich, liquid sounding electric guitar. You guys with great tube rigs must hear this!

An Amazon Editorial reviewer said something kind of funny

"They're not heavy like Black Sabbath. They're heavy like Beethoven."

Here's the full amazon editorial review:
Throughout their six-year career, this Japanese quartet has ascended consistently in both popularity and critical acclaim. But still elusive is the successful translation of their powerful and violently beautiful live performances to their recordings, until now. Once again recorded by Steve Albini, the album extends the cinematic drama of 2003's "Walking Cloud And Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered And The Sun Shined" while surpassing the sinister heaviness of 2002's lauded "One Step More And You Die". If "Walking Cloud" was a nuclear winter, then "You Are There" is the post-war rebirth. This band isn't heavy like Black Sabbath. They're heavy like Beethoven.

Amazon link here

Apr 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 14
Have you heard You Are There? Because it is much better, IMO. I have read many people say the same thing you have said (minus the getting tired of part
biggrin.gif
) and that with each album, they perfect their sound, and flesh it out more.

I honestly get tired of all the other bands that make similar music...but with these guys, there's something more. Put this on during a road trip late at night with city lights looming in the distance...it's completely epic

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 14
I bought Under The Pipal Tree and I enjoy it, but others have made the criticism that that particular recording is samey, and I tend to agree.

I purchased most of the rest of their catalog on vinyl and I have yet to listen to any of it. (I must confess that I intend to purchase a nice record player, but haven't yet).

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 14
I've gotten pretty bored of most post-rock, but You Are There is all right. I prefer the collab they did with World's End Girlfriend though... Check out Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain. Dark stuff, but incredible too.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 14
I had a chance to see Mono live a couple years ago and I was very impressed as I never knew about the post rock genre. Also Pelican opened up for them and it was a great night for live music. Very emotional music with the quiet to loud to quiet music passages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back