Fan killing my ears?
Dec 8, 2009 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Varun916

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I didn't know where to put this, so mods please move it if necessary.

The problem I'm having is that my recording/gaming PC is kind of loud(sorry I don't have a decibel meter), and is located to my left. I normally wore noise canceling headphones, which completely blocked out the sound. Now with my grado 325's I can hear everything. After a couple of hours of listening, I feel almost as if like my right ear is blocked by something. It's a very uncomfortable feeling that goes away when I wear my noise cancelings. I guess my question is should I be worrying about this, or do you think it's just an annoyance? Also why would my right feel this way instead of my left? I went to a TSO concert recently and my right ear took the brunt of the sound, I'm wondering if maybe it's related to that as well.

Thanks!

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 4
I'd bet good money that it was the concert that messed up your hearing. If this has persisted for longer than a week, I'd go see a doctor.

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Think I just figured it out. I just got a new sound card, and this has been happening ever since.

After analyzing equal-volume left and right channel sounds, it seems the sound card is boosting the left speaker volume by about 1.6 dB. The left channel bar was very slightly higher than the right in the card control panel. I thought I was going crazy, but it seems my ears picked up and didn't like the difference. I have no idea why this is the case but M-Audio Delta 1010LT owners beware, you might have this problem!

I just did a hearing test, and looks like my right ear is slightly less responsive than my left, but only from 14khz to 20khz.

Looks like I'm safe for now!

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 4
oooo. seemed like you had the biggest audiophile fear for a moment there.
frown.gif

on the same line, i have a heater vent in my room that it right behind me and now (since it's winter) the thing has been annoying the heck out of me. if i shut it completely, it's only louder. if i open it all the way, my room gets way too hot. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back