Fan favorite headphone list?
Jan 27, 2020 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

johnstac

Head-Fier
I've been reading the headphone forum for months. Do you want to know how I get an idea of which headphones are the most popular or a "fan favorite"? I look at each headphone post and check how many posts each has. Is that nuts? I'm a beginner for sure but I've got the bug for sure. I have the Senn HD-800S and the LCD-3. I bought them both at the same time having never heard either of them before. I find myself going back to the LCD-3 much more often. Certainly not for the comfort. I actually lie back against a pillow because they feel more comfortable with less weight. I realize they aren't that heavy but after an hour or so it's noticeable. I digress.

I wondered it anyone ever put together a list of the "best" (whatever that means" cans. I guess I mean, the most purchased but not for economic reasons. If money was no object, which headphones do people point to? Where is that list if such a list exists and is it kept updated with newer models? When I put it in google I will usually get some Amazon sellers top 10. I'm sure you guys know what I mean. Please help if you can. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 7
I think you would need to break this up into price brackets, home or on the go, and maybe open and closed back. Even this may not be near conclusive. This hobby is mostly subjective. There are a few existing threads that follow your thoughts.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, the closest thread I found to what I was looking for was listed at the top of the headphone forum where they list the battle of the flagships, top 50 compared. It just looks it was posted some years ago and I'm not sure what flagship even means. But more to the point, I was trying to find which fullsize, open back, high end headphones people are buying. If I had to set a range, perhaps 1K-8K. Is that to broad?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 7
There's another thread - favorite 1000 and under closed backs. Again, you're going to get varied opinions. You can post new threads under the full size headphones section. Maybe break it into tiers or something?

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 7
Another thread to get lost in is the 'Rank the headphones that you own' thread.
Sometimes people check back after months or years to update their list.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 7
Well since you were vague with no guidelines as to what types of fan favorites.

Some common ones that come up are usually mid tier to end game for the most part, simply because many people move on to experience what upgrading feels like from their "first loves."

For me my first love was the HD600.

Since then I have ventured into end game territory (say bye bye to money)

Here are some end game popular ones I see often:

1. Focal Utopia
2. Audeze LCD 4
3. HIFIMAN Susvara
4. HD800
5. Abyss 1266

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 7
Well since you were vague with no guidelines as to what types of fan favorites.

Some common ones that come up are usually mid tier to end game for the most part, simply because many people move on to experience what upgrading feels like from their "first loves."

For me my first love was the HD600.

Since then I have ventured into end game territory (say bye bye to money)

Here are some end game popular ones I see often:

1. Focal Utopia
2. Audeze LCD 4
3. HIFIMAN Susvara
4. HD800
5. Abyss 1266
And my end game headphones are the Sennheiser HD 660s. So you can see that people are all over the map. I have little desire to spend more. I've heard enough higher end cans to know that the law of diminishing returns kicks in. Also have to keep in mind that people are in different places with different objectives in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back