Family says my Arya open backs are too loud.
Apr 21, 2022 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

flatbubba

New Head-Fier
I love my HiFiMan Aryas but the listening room is also the TV room and the family says they leak out way too much sound. I compared them to my Senn HD 6xxs are they have much louder leakage. I need a solution. Either new closed backs that sound as good as the Aryas or open backs that are also as good as the Aryas but only leak as much as the 6xxs. I really don't want to pay $2500 for ZMF Verite closed and the Senn HD 820s get very mixed reviews. Not sure what to do. Any ideas? Thanks and I'm a newbie around here. Glad to be a part of the community. Cheers!

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 17
You may want to try the DCA Aeon 2 Noire. I own the Arya Stealth and the Noire and find some of the sound characteristics to be similar. Also it's very comfortable for extended listening sessions.

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 17
Nice! It looks like the Aeon comes open or closed. Which do you have?
They are closed back headphones but sound spacious much like the Arya SE. You won't really have to listen hard for instrument separation during busy passages of music.

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 17
I can relate to the Ayra getting a little too loud sometimes. You may also want to look into the Audeze LCD-X. They are easier to drive than the Arya so there shouldn't be as much sound leakage.

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 17
They are closed back headphones but sound spacious much like the Arya SE. You won't really have to listen hard for instrument separation during busy passages of music.
Glad to hear that. That's what I love most about the Aryas: so wide and great separation. Other than the leakage bothering the family the Aryas are my perfect headphone.

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 17
Glad to hear that. That's what I love most about the Aryas: so wide and great separation. Other than the leakage bothering the family the Aryas are my perfect headphone.
I love my pair of Arya SE they immediately became my favorite headphone that I own... I picked up the Noire as they had some similarities to the DCA Stealth albeit reasonably priced.

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 17
I love my HiFiMan Aryas but the listening room is also the TV room and the family says they leak out way too much sound. I compared them to my Senn HD 6xxs are they have much louder leakage. I need a solution. Either new closed backs that sound as good as the Aryas or open backs that are also as good as the Aryas but only leak as much as the 6xxs. I really don't want to pay $2500 for ZMF Verite closed and the Senn HD 820s get very mixed reviews. Not sure what to do. Any ideas? Thanks and I'm a newbie around here. Glad to be a part of the community. Cheers!
Damn. That's a pickle😅

Closed back Aryas might be a difficult thing to find.

Nothing against the Aeons' but I don't think they sound anything like the Aryas.

Closed backs at the Arya price range might be a compromise eventually. But since your situation requires it, I guess you should try to audition as many headphones as you can. Just don't go with the reviews and recommends alone.

I do have two very controversial recommendations though: Audeze LCD-XC and the Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Gen). I'm sure this is gonna open a whole new can of worms for some and ofcourse they don't sound anything like the Aryas, but in this price range they're gonna be stellar performers for the money.

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 17
I had the Audeze LCD-XCs in my sights but I will also check out the Beyers. I like that I can try both the DCAs and the Audeze from headphones.com with easy returns. Thanks for the tips!
The LCD-XC is excellent. I own it as well. There are sometimes when you will feel the weight of it more than others. But it's nothing that adjusting your posture and the extended Yoke Rods can't alleviate.

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #12 of 17
The Ether CX is a good choice too
but the best choice for me is creating a new private space if you can , it will help you in the future too when you use open back that prefer low background noise

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 17
The LCD-XC is one of the best in my opinion, especially with EQ. Neutralish with top level resolution for a closed-back. The isolation isnt the best though, but it doesnt leak much.

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 17
I think you need a new family... 😉

Apr 24, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #15 of 17
Investing a few thousand bucks into a closed back headphone that cannot match your open arya might be not the best solution imo.

Why not simply drive the arya out of a portable setup during the times the living room is occupied and move to another room?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back