Falling back in love with my Etys
Nov 2, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #46 of 54
I just did an unamped head-to-head on both and, after being an ER-4P owner for over 5 years, decided to keep the HF5. While the 4Ps strengths are well known and certainly a factor, I simply found myself ENJOYING the music more through the HF5. I'm calling it the "Groovalizer" of the Ety IEM line. Very musical and involving to me, and the fact that it's priced at $50+ less than the 4P doesn't hurt either.

As for build quality, the 4P cetainly seems more robust than HF5. The removable cable is a plus for some and it feels like it will take more abuse than the HF5's thinner and much lighter wire. I find the 4P cable and clip to be more cumbersome than that of the HF5. Durability-wise, since both products carry the same 2 year warranty and Etymotic is well respected for its customer service, I'm not really worried about the longevity of the HF5.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #49 of 54
I was just wondering: the ER4P would need an amp to shine, right? So, as I'm trying to decide between the UM3X and the ER4P, I was thinking: The ER4P + iBasso T3/T4 + bass boost on T3/T4 activated, how would it compare to the UM3X? They are about the same price, so I was wondering.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #50 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did an unamped head-to-head on both and, after being an ER-4P owner for over 5 years, decided to keep the HF5. While the 4Ps strengths are well known and certainly a factor, I simply found myself ENJOYING the music more through the HF5. I'm calling it the "Groovalizer" of the Ety IEM line.

I think you must play with the EQ a bit too. What I found was that if I used a bassier EQ setting (like R & B) with HF5, a bit of articulation was lost but with ER4P it gives you the added bass but still stays very articulate.

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #51 of 54
thanks ALOT for the input guys! Since I'm not planning on getting an amp and instead using them straight with my cowon s9, I think I'll save that $50 and go for the hf5. I previously had the pfe, which was amazing sq-wise btw, but had to return it since it literally broke down in my hands. Hopefully the hf5 can take its place sufficiently!

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #52 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you must play with the EQ a bit too. What I found was that if I used a bassier EQ setting (like R & B) with HF5, a bit of articulation was lost but with ER4P it gives you the added bass but still stays very articulate.

I'm a bit of a purist and don't like to EQ. It just introduces more complexity and processing into the audio path, something I try to avoid. The HF5 is giving me what I want with no tweaking and at a substantial savings over the 4P. Works for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssk786 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks ALOT for the input guys! Since I'm not planning on getting an amp and instead using them straight with my cowon s9, I think I'll save that $50 and go for the hf5. I previously had the pfe, which was amazing sq-wise btw, but had to return it since it literally broke down in my hands. Hopefully the hf5 can take its place sufficiently!

Hopefully you'll enjoy them as much as I do. And for the record I find the build quality of the HF5 to be exceptional. It's just not AS robust as the ER-4P.

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #54 of 54
I disagree with the person who said the SA5K and ER4P aren't that similar. I think the SA5K is the closest I have heard to the Ety sound in a full-size 'phone. They share the same strengths (crazy speed and detail and a slightly bright but very engaging midrange) and have a very similar tonality. The SA5K has more bass and a bigger soundstage.

I love the ER4P. I A/Bed them a few months ago against a bunch of other IEMs, including the SE530, TF10, and W3 and I didn't think any of them sounded as good. The only other IEM that I thought sounded great was the X10.

Sadly, I lost my Etys a few weeks ago
frown.gif
. I might have to buy new ones soon, although I've been using my Shure SRH840 as portables/transportables of late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back