Fall Cincinnati Meet Impressions
Oct 10, 2004 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
Looks like the Illinois people were a no show. coughblncough
evil_smiley.gif

Anyways, thanks to EdipisReks for arranging the hosting. It was a very spacious and cold room.

I will post more impressions later, but I thought I'd get the thread started with a few pics.

Cincy_Head-Fi_Meet_10-10-04_01.jpg

Cincy_Head-Fi_Meet_10-10-04_02.jpg

I must say that I liked the Bel Canto DAC2. There definitely a source upgrade in the very near future.
biggrin.gif

Going to have to hear the Benchmark DAC1 soon as well.

It was great to meet the Cincy folks. Always good to see Head-fi people in my home town.

-Ed

Oct 10, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 32
that makes 2 of us who liked the MS-2s...glad to bring them in return for hearing all of the excellent gear (R10s...wow, not just hype!!)...any new MS-2 lover should thank Jahn for over the top enthusiasm, and ultimately persuasive post about his...thanks to everybody who came...good to meet faces behind names

Oct 10, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 32
Unfortunately, I was able to attend only for a brief period. However, I did get to hear the Grado PS-1s and the R-10s. It was nice meeting everyone.

The PS-1s are everything that I like about Grados. They have the tight, extended bass and crisp highs of the RS-2s (haven't heard the RS-1s), but with all the detail that the RS-2s lack.

I really wanted to dislike or, at the very least, not care too much for the R-10s. They're so expensive, and apparently not the most durable headphones on the planet. The idea of replacing pads that cost $250 is just ridiculous. Unfortunately, they're the best headphones I ever heard. I listened to the PS-1s first, out of my Prehead, and thought they had the tighest bass of any headphone I had heard. But the R-10's bass was even tighter. I preferred the R-10s to the PS-1s because I like the overall soundstage and sonic presentation of the Sonys. Sadly, I doubt I will ever be able to own them, but I can always dream.

I thought both were excellent, and hope to own at least one of them some day.

Oct 11, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 32
The meeting took place at the University of Cincinnati (col. conservatory of music building). Don't feel obligated to U.C. for the use of the free room. I paid for it in multi tens of thousands of dollars I spent there on three daughters as well as myself, along with Miami University and Ohio State. It should have my name on it. LOL lol sniff cry. It did my heart good knowing "Edwood" got another shot at Skyline Chile. Everyone in Cincy is addicted to it. If you come here next time, it alone is really worth the trip. That along with Greaters IceCream. The Cincy chili has had "U.S. Congressional approveal and Greaters IceCream was featured on "Opra Winfre" as the best icecream. It sure was nice to meet so many nice people today from HeadFi, Ten of them. Most pleasent people. PS 1's, R10's, 325's, MS2's, 880's, 60's, were some of the more popular headphones. R10's and PS1's were to die for, $$$$$$$. Amps included MPX3, Cordia MK2, Grace 901, Bada, HD 25, Headroom Home, among others. Sources: Pioneer 563a, Sony (mini disc) and computer hook ups. The Headroom Home, Cordia, and the Grace (being the best), were nice. But I will leave the thoughts to a solid state lover to define. I only listened to them briefly to have done so. I am not into SS so I found no surprises here for me. They are all well made and reproduced the sound nicely and esoterically. I will also not review the tube amps because they were mine and I have many posts on them allready. Do a search if interested. I would like to see Headroom and Cordia make an "in house engineered" tube amp. The Bel Canto Dac was very well done. Very detailed but very smooth. I liked it a lot. I am not a Grado fan, BUT, the PS1 I would like to own. Again, detail but very smooth; bass but very smooth and detailed. Compaired to the 325's, the 325's were screaming at me and the PS1's did it all much more smoothly, with some of the best bass I have heard comming from a headphone. The R10's were 880's on steroids. The Beyer DT880 sound but to perfection. The best all around headphone I have heard so far. If Sony would lower the price three grand they could put half of China to work keeping up with the demand. Are you listening Bush/Cary? Then some of the manufacturing jobs could come home. I think I surprised a few with the sound of the Beyer DT880's, Eddie Current HD25, and the Bada hybred. But I will let them tell you. But again I stress that I met some of the most terrific people from HeadFi today. They are all very gracious with there equiptment and information/education. Never any overly strong opinions or heated dissagreements. We all know that there is something in this hobbie for everybody and not what you like is whats going to be what everybody else likes, nessesarly. A very pleasent time indeed. Ya gotta love these guy's. Thanks to all that put in time to make another great meet.
tongue.gif
600smile.gif
280smile.gif
lambda.gif
eggosmile.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 32
We had some fun doing some head to head A/B comparisons with the Grado 325's to the MS-2's. They are so close in sound, but differ in two small areas that we heard. For me it was mostly that the 325's were a bit more richer/full/bloated (take your pick for your point of view) and the MS-2's were a bit more detailed neutral/thin (again, take your pick).

I'm still not a Grado kind of guy. Heheh, but I must say (excluding comfort issues) I like bowls better than flats.
evil_smiley.gif

This was the second time I was able to hear the DT880's, and I must say that I like it a lot better on the Singlepower MPX3 than I did on my Grace.

I really liked the extra "oomph" and bass I could hear with my R10's on the MPX3. But I really must have the speed, clarity, and detail and more than my Grace 901 to move on from it.

I guess, it would be unfortunate for my wallet that it will probably be a Supra, SDS, or Maestro that will satisfy me later. Probably some other behemoth amp.
biggrin.gif

But first things first.

I finally got to hear the Bel Canto DAC2. Now I'm going to have to hear the Benchmark DAC1 when I get back home. I'm most certainly dropping some $$$$ on a source upgrade.

It was great to meet some local Cincy Head-fi folks. I grew up here, and it's fun to see how it changes. Especially my Alma Mater. Holy crap, the campus is growing out of control!

-Ed

Oct 11, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I finally got to hear the Bel Canto DAC2. Now I'm going to have to hear the Benchmark DAC1 when I get back home.

Well it is here for you to listen to
biggrin.gif
I will be interested to see how you view it compared to the DAC2. Perhaps you will get in on the speaker meet that Japser994, another friend and I will be having next Sunday. The DAC1 will be the star of the show there
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Well it is here for you to listen to
biggrin.gif
I will be interested to see how you view it compared to the DAC2. Perhaps you will get in on the speaker meet that Japser994, another friend and I will be having next Sunday. The DAC1 will be the star of the show there
biggrin.gif

Isn't you're 21st Birthday this Sunday?
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Oct 14, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 32
I finally had a few moments to post my impressions of the Cincinnati meet, so here it goes... First, many thanks to EdipisReks for putting this thing together, finding us a room and getting us good directions through the maze that is UC. Mikey01 is right on the money - everyone in attendance were quality folks who were generous with their knowledge and the use of their equipment. It's nice to know there's a few of us head-fi'ers in Cincinnati. This was my first chance to listen to several nice tube amps. Mikey01's Bada hybrid and Eddie Current HD-25 sound great for the buck, but his MPX3 stole the show for me. It produced a beautifully warm and punchy sound that I couldn't get enough of. No matter what source or headphone that I tried with it, I got a pleasing result. What a great amp! I was really impressed and suprised with the Beyer DT880's. It's a great blend of solid bass and detail - this is a fine audiophile headphone that seems to handle most any genre of music well. I was also impressed with Edwood's Mini Me computer rig and especially the mods he has made to the DigiPad sound card. I have this same card (stock) at home, but it doesn't sound anything like Edwood's. This is the best analog-out I've heard from a computer. Of course the star of the meet had to be Edwood's R10's which he generously let us drool on. No doubt, they are everything I expected them to be. Edwood has them dialed-in for solid bass and incredible detail on his Mini Me/Grace 901 setup. I thought they sounded sweet on the MPX3 also. All-in-all, it was a great day for this headphone nut. The only down-side is that my credit card may be in lots of trouble.

Oct 14, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 32
Well, I'm back in LA now.
I brought back a 12 pack of Graeters too.
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the R10 club, Bill.
evil_smiley.gif
Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

LOL, I should've taken pics of the "bread crumb trail" EdipisReks left for us. Literally a sign on every corner with arrows pointing where to go. There was even one in the parking garage elevator telling us where to go.

Best directions ever.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Oct 14, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 32
Over the years I have attended lots of educational sessions at the University of Cincinnati. But this one was the best. And no tests.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back