Fake ZERO DAC???
Sep 12, 2011 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ChoS

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I ordered a ZERO DAC from eBay since I couldn't find a physical store with this one in stock. The DAC just arrived today in its' original box  (I guessed it is because it was printed all over with Tianyun brand and ZERO description).
However, when I decided to unscrew the cover to see if I got a correct Opamp (I ordered one with OPA627), I noticed my circuit was quite different from the picture in the internet I saw before.

Now I'll make a comparison for the differences between mine, this thread, and Tianyun's site:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/269458/review-zero-24-bit-192khz-dac-headphone-amp-pre-amp
http://www.tianyun100.com/products/jiemaqi/jiemaqi8.htm

Here's the main circuit:

- two blue boxes on the left bottom corner should be yellow

- well, my opamps are totally different!

- but it still says OPA627 on the top (very pale and tiny text)

-the biggest two capacitors are in different color, different brand, and even different capacity! (even worse, most of my capacitors doesn't match the one in that thread too.)

-the transformer wires' color are also different

- the frequency generator label doesn't match, and those little yellow boxes are different.

Here are the rest of my circuit:

I read the post about fake OPA627 though. But no one has ever said anything about counterfeit ZERO dac yet.
Could it be that my copy is a fake one? Or they're just cutting corners, because many parts on my board look cheaper than the pictures I saw previously.

Anyone?

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 5
^^ looking at buying one of these, any comments?

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 5
My guess is they're cutting corners. I'm not sure a budget level dac would be worth forging. There are some well-known companies that cut quality significantly after the first run like OCZ. Personally, I'd stay far away from anything I could only find on ebay.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
My guess is they're cutting corners. I'm not sure a budget level dac would be worth forging. There are some well-known companies that cut quality significantly after the first run like OCZ. Personally, I'd stay far away from anything I could only find on ebay.

Ebay seems to have the greatest selection of dacs in this price range.  I have been looking at the aune, but it only does 16/48 through usb.  My laptop only has the option of usb or the headphone jack.  I have alot of sacd rips that are 24/192 24/88 etc and don't want to down sample.  Can you recommend a dac at this price point?  Around $150 shipped, opamps are kind of pointless as I will probably be using a dac w/ an Indeed G3. I'm looking at no more than $300 for a tube amp and dac, a tube amp w/ dac would suffice also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back