Fake Sennheiser Momentum On Ear for sale on eBay!!
Apr 15, 2014 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

spongeboab

New Head-Fier
Just a heads up to anyone thinking of buying these off eBay. I paid a reasonable £121.90 for what was described as genuine Sennheiser's from what looked like a genuine UK business seller with 400+ 100% feedback. They arrived and looked genuine, the only signs that made me suspicious was the packaging was a bit scruffy and there was glue residue on the case which I thought QC at the factory would have picked up on.
As for the headphones they were an excellent copy, The anthracite pads and stainless steel band looked great, so did the stitching on the suede effect band. I was initially fooled into thinking I had bagged a bargain....till I plugged them into my iPhone.
The sound was okay but nowhere near as good as the ones I auditioned in Currys. Went back to Currys to compare again and was convinced there was something wrong. Bought a pair in Currys to compare them at home and only then could I see the differences. The fake ones headband was a lot looser on the head and the Sennheiser and Momentum badges were a different colour and the O in MOMENTUM was the wrong size on the copies. Apart from that they looked great. After buying originals in Currys to compare them the fakes looked better than the originals. The black headband was blacker and the red stitching more bold. I showed the wife and she thought the fake ones looked better.
Going to try and send them back and get a refund.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 9
i received a pair of momentum on ear today.. i am also wondering if my pair is authentic.. and i have no idea how i can do check that.. the details of mine as below:

color: ivory
Ser. No. 0224000436
ID: MJQZM6J8MJ
the code on shiny sticker: M06L755

just wondering if the earphone u got is with the same details as above?

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 9
Pretty much never buy headphones off ebay. While is almost sacrilege to say so here, a lot of people can't tell the difference between a pair of headphones and a lot of the copies are not that bad. So when folk order online from non dealer locations, most folk will never tell.

With the fake Momentums you can tell by looking at the size of the driver, I believe it's a two in one in the fakes and a three inch one in the real headphones, well for the large pair at least. Not sure about the on ear ones.

The general rule of thumb, is that if the headphones are originally made in China, then there is a near 100% chance that there will be a fake version. Best not to skimp out and buy from local dealers or known trusted sellers.

Also don't send them back. File a complaint with paypal. You'll get your money back usually once they confirm with you that you've destroyed them. Generally with counterfeit goods there is no need to send back. But do check with paypal first.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 9
i received a pair of momentum on ear today.. i am also wondering if my pair is authentic.. and i have no idea how i can do check that.. the details of mine as below:

color: ivory
Ser. No. 0224000436
ID: MJQZM6J8MJ
the code on shiny sticker: M06L755

just wondering if the earphone u got is with the same details as above?

Have you tried searching or looking up you issue on the Internet?

http://bit.ly/15Uz6As

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 9
im a product design engineer by profession so any run out in product quality i can detect much easier. i have checked the stamping quality of the band, plastic molding quality and even the box graphic and text printing, they are good and comparable to the quality of other MOE in video and photos of unboxing..

i have seen better quality in products at this price point, so i was not expecting a slight slant on the badge, some dust and specks on the earphones and the carrying case and etc. from a china factory product manufactured under german supervision... that said, this headphones are not of bad quality by any means, its just my expectation is high..

i ordered it from a reputable IT shop so presumably the shop can be trusted and the headphones should be authentic.. it is just that when i plugged it into a notebook for music listening i was not satisfied with the sound, it was only on par with my old audio technica ATH-ON303 Onto that cost 1/8 of the price..

i listened to it again just now with an ipad, it sounded much better now. source might be a reason why i could not pump out the quality from the headphones but the i think a notebook should be able to amp the headphones better but hmm it seems i am wrong.. and the burn in time might be a factor as well, new headphones do require some warming up.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 9
the QR code identifcation might not be able to tell much...

also i noticed that the color variant book that came in the box is with a blue momentum on-ear on the front for most of other unboxing videos.. and its a pair of black momentum on-ear for mine.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 9
i figured why the sound is different on the notebook, because the dell laptop im using came with skullcandy Maxxaudio software that colored my audio output with some kind of equalization, i have just turned all "enhancement" off on the master mixer and the headphones sound the same as it was on ipad...

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 9
Pretty much every electronic product is a risk when buying from eBay...to be honest any branded product is a risk! I've got no idea how they make headphones so perfectly though...

But yeah, over £100 is still a reasonable price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back