fake opa627's in the wild.
Apr 16, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #31 of 184
The lettering looks crooked and jumbled on the bottom one. From the guy who said a real manuf would never make one with text that's angled, is this a clear sign? Not to mention the top design not matching any single one on TI's page...

Also, the position of the labels are different on both. The bottom one's is more to the right.

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #33 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosh1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By coincidence I was looking at a review of KingRex inty, and saw a photo of an opamp with what appeared to be an extremely cheesy BB logo, and I immediately thought 'fake'! Anyone know? Scroll down a little more than half way:
kingrex review

You mean the one with just two plain Bs in a box ?

I have some OPA2132s that look similar to that... no idea if they're fine or fake, haven't tried them yet.

May 2, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #34 of 184
I bought these:
2x Dual to Mono Opamp PCB > OPA627

from tube_buyer, along with two of his OPA627BP's. As posted before, I saw a difference, but not alot. I'm still wondering if they might have been counterfeit. 2 opamps, and the adaptor cost me only $28. Hmm....
The OpAmps looked exactly like this:
2PCS Burr Brown OPamp OPA627 NEW

(even though these are AP, they still look exactly like the BP) They don't have the dimple, writing looks suspect, Date codes dont match up, etc. Anyhow, my curiosity has bested me, so I bought these:
Matched Pair Burr Brown OPAmp OPA627BP

today, to see if I can hear a difference. Any thoughts on either of these sellers or choices?

May 2, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #35 of 184
I bought a pair of 627BP and a pair of 637AP from Parts and Audio.

They sound pretty much exactly like they should compared to AD8610 in my M^3, but I do suspect they may be fakes. The case style matches those seen on the TI site, but the 10 digit code does not.... the size/positioning of the code is also different between the 627 and 637.

Finally, the 637 seems very stable at a gain of 2. Realistically, it should oscillate or ping like crazy.

May 2, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #36 of 184
Just an update to my post above. When I got home from work, I had a closer look at my OPA6x7 from Parts and Audio and I believe more than ever that they are fake. Within each pair the OPAMPs have the same top markings, but the bottom markings are different. The 637's have 'Korea 11' and 'Taiwan A12'. The 627's have 'Phils A01' (Phillipines?) and 'Tawain A07'.

You would have thought that with the same top markings, they would come from the same location.......
frown.gif

May 2, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #37 of 184
BUDDY CHRIST!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The case style matches those seen on the TI site, but the 10 digit code does not....

The date code on mine makes no sense either, and there is no 'dimple'. I'm hoping the new ones I got will show a difference. If they do, I'll be sure to post pix of the ones I have now and where I got them, as fakes.
The ones I just bought on eBay had the date code in the listing, and it checks out. In the pictures, they look authentic too.

May 2, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #38 of 184
I think a problem may now be though if there ever was slightly different markings used or they had different codes when BB was seperate from TI or some such, some people might think a possibly genuine part is fake.

Also a problem with listening tests could be if it looks fake, it might be possible sub consciously you start to think what your hearing is definitely fake when it might not be.

Then again a fake might be a pretty decent op-amp that's been rebranded that most people wouldn't pick up on.
frown.gif

May 2, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #39 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a problem may now be though if there ever was slightly different markings used or they had different codes when BB was seperate from TI or some such, some people might think a possibly genuine part is fake.

Also a problem with listening tests could be if it looks fake, it might be possible sub consciously you start to think what your hearing is definitely fake when it might not be.

Then again a fake might be a pretty decent op-amp that's been rebranded that most people wouldn't pick up on.
frown.gif

All good points. The differences between different opamps is so small anyway, the psychoacoustic effect could really play havoc.
Still though, with all the posts from people who have the real deal, I'm hoping a difference will be readily apparent.

May 8, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #40 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr dougie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm another of the same seller's listings (that I linked above) has photos of fake OPA627BPs. link

Here's a photo of the ones I got from them.

A fellow eBayer has pointed me in the direction of this thread.

I have bought a couple of OPA627BPs from the same eBay seller as 'dr dougie' and the opamps have the same number as shown in the photo (0018WM155), are these in fact fakes?

Harryo

May 9, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #41 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harryo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A fellow eBayer has pointed me in the direction of this thread.

I have bought a couple of OPA627BPs from the same eBay seller as 'dr dougie' and the opamps have the same number as shown in the photo (0018WM155), are these in fact fakes?

Harryo

I want to know this too. I also have a pair of 0018WM155 sitting here.

May 9, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #42 of 184
May 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #43 of 184
Hi

I have one with no markings at all on the bottom, where any made like this?

Thanks

Frank

May 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #45 of 184
Got mine off an american seller a few years ago off ebay and all was good then.

Ive actually got 8 of the SMT variety spare, as well as x2 on some BD adapters with some AD8610 op-amps that I used in my marantz cd-63. If I find them Il put up a FS thread here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back