Fake Nordost interconnects
Dec 21, 2006 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Dimitris

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone know if there are fake Nordost interconnects out there? I have found some goods deals in audiogon but i dont know if they are real or not. How can I tell if the cable I am getting is fake?

More specifically I am interested in these:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ntr&1170600355

Your help is very appreciated.
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 19
Uh, the seller clearly states that the ones he's selling were made by cutting longer Nordost into shorter segments and "reterminating" them with their own plugs. They are not "fake" per se, but clearly not factory-spec cables.

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have any idea how I will be able to tell if the cable is indeed Nordost or not?I dont mind the retermination but I am more worried about the cable authenticity.

All Nordost cables have a certain unique look, you cannot fake those (they are made in a specific way). The reterminated cables are just as good or maybe better(silver bullit plugs) then the originals. The originals are also soldered to the termination!

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All Nordost cables have a certain unique look, you cannot fake those (they are made in a specific way)

Ever been to China?

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsansite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever been to China?

These are produced in a certain way, wich is very expensive, i dunno if a chinese faker would spend such an amount of money! You need equipment for that.
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Originals have a serial number.

Not much use if you don't have the wooden case.....lots are sold without the case couse alot of people throw it away or whatever.

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 19
How about a (drumroll...)

Listening Test?

C'mon, the difference is day and night. You don't want to tell me you can't hear that?

biggrin.gif
rofl.

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 19
The High-End Nordost cables have serial numbers. You can call Nordost and check the serial number against the cable to verify it hasn’t been re-terminated. They’ll tell you the original manufacture date and original length.

“Originals have a serial number.” “Not much use if you don't have the wooden case.....”

The wood case isn’t matched to the cable in anyway- there’s no number or ID on the box.

The reason there’s so many cables around with out boxes is because people re-terminate the cables from long runs and re-sell them at a profit. The boxes are real nice and I can’t see a lot of people just tossing them- they’re worth about $100 more to a sale.

So basically new authentic cables come with the box- the box is nice enough that it would be expensive to copy so coming with the box adds a level of authenticity.

Personally- I want the original- authentic cable. No re-terminated cables here. What exactly does “professionally reterminated” mean?

For that price range you can get:
New cables with a 30-day return policy and warranty or a nice pair of used authentic cables.

Down the road the cables will be harder to sell since they are re-terminated.

Check out the sellers ad for the Valhallas at $1400. One meter Valhallas are $1800-$1900 in original condition with the box- plus they sell fast at that price. Most people are hesitant to buy re-terminated high-end cables.

Mitch

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New cables with a 30-day return policy and warranty or a nice pair of used authentic cables.

Mitch

I have contacted him and he will sell the 1m XLR for $350 shipped to me. I dont think I can find a better price for this specific cable. I am not really interested in reselling these I just want a good cable for the lowest price that I will use for the next 20 years.

Dec 21, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a (drumroll...)
Listening Test?

C'mon, the difference is day and night. You don't want to tell me you can't hear that?

biggrin.gif
rofl.

How about a (drumroll . . .)
Troll test?

C'mon. You don't want to tell me you can't smell that?

biggrin.gif
rofl.

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The High-End Nordost cables have serial numbers. You can call Nordost and check the serial number against the cable to verify it hasn’t been re-terminated. They’ll tell you the original manufacture date and original length.

“Originals have a serial number.” “Not much use if you don't have the wooden case.....”

The wood case isn’t matched to the cable in anyway- there’s no number or ID on the box.

The reason there’s so many cables around with out boxes is because people re-terminate the cables from long runs and re-sell them at a profit. The boxes are real nice and I can’t see a lot of people just tossing them- they’re worth about $100 more to a sale.

So basically new authentic cables come with the box- the box is nice enough that it would be expensive to copy so coming with the box adds a level of authenticity.

Personally- I want the original- authentic cable. No re-terminated cables here. What exactly does “professionally reterminated” mean?

Check out the sellers ad for the Valhallas at $1400. One meter Valhallas are $1800-$1900 in original condition with the box- plus they sell fast at that price. Most people are hesitant to buy re-terminated high-end cables.

Mitch

problem is that the serial is on a piece of paper...i know since i own also Nordost kabels. So, if you don't have the box with the serial paper, it's useless. I don't think reterminated is much of a degradation, since Nordost also solders the cables to the termination! If you reterminate with the silver bullit plugs, chances are that it is actually sounding better then with the original plugs. I personally don't see the big fuss.There is a reason why Nordost now uses the same plugs as the reterminated ones!!!
600smile.gif

Supposedly, the silver bullets sound better! I dunno for sure since i only own authentic Nordost cables.

Dec 24, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #15 of 19
If they are aware in general of copies?

I found out about some AU cables that had been faked and worked with the company to get to the bottom of it. I am not sure if they found the source, after i put them onto the middleman. But they were thankful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back