Fake ksc75?
Feb 12, 2009 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dumas045

New Head-Fier
I just got a new pair of ksc75 (for backup) off of ebay, and though they sound similar to my old ones, its got a different plug (straight instead of angled) and tolerances seem a little bit looser. Is there anyway to really tell?

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #3 of 13
What did you pay? How much profit can be made faking a $6 earphone? But like GreatDane said, pics please. I have 2, 1 in use (well, doesn't get too much ear time), and one still in the plastic.

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 13
Pretty sure it's just a different type of plug. I was in the same situation as you: I got a L-plug KSC75 first, and it turns out my second (backup) pair was a regular plugged one. They sound exactly the same.

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 13
me too; ive bought 5 different sets and some are straight and some are angled, also some have a pod on them which means you kind-of HAVE to recable them to sound any good

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
me too; ive bought 5 different sets and some are straight and some are angled, also some have a pod on them which means you kind-of HAVE to recable them to sound any good

I totally disagree.

They don't sound any different out of any equiptment with the volume pod as long as you turn it all the way up, IMHO. I've had a dozen different pairs that have all been lost/stolen/given away/taken apart for modding/never been put back together. I've never even noticed a hint of difference between the ones with the volume pod and the ones without.

I recabled a set of them too with some SPC wire that I had around from making interconnects. To me I really didn't hear a HUGE difference even then. They MAY have been a little leaner, but I couldn't be sure.

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 13
I have an old pair and just received a new pair and they have a straight plug. They also sound very different to my old pair.

Much less bass and more in the top. In direct comparison, they sound like a different pair of headphones so I'm burning the new ones in to see whether the amount of bass develops with time.

Ian

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 13
I recabled a pair with ridiculous, bulky PC-OCC wire last night... I love them in every flavor. Can't say that the wire made a massive sonic difference, but it made them extremely uncomfortable, so off it went!

I do, however, think the popular mods are very worthwhile.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally disagree.

They don't sound any different out of any equiptment with the volume pod as long as you turn it all the way up, IMHO. I've had a dozen different pairs that have all been lost/stolen/given away/taken apart for modding/never been put back together. I've never even noticed a hint of difference between the ones with the volume pod and the ones without.

I recabled a set of them too with some SPC wire that I had around from making interconnects. To me I really didn't hear a HUGE difference even then. They MAY have been a little leaner, but I couldn't be sure.

OK disagree then, IMO the KSC74 re-cable is one of the most noticeable re-cables around. the stock cable is a thin and flimsy piece of crap IMO. and the volume pod even while it is all the way up is still forcing the signal to go though a resistor network they may not be affecting the signal, but the signal still passes through them

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 13
I'll throw some in my "Take Five" cart, then. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with plain ol' mini starquad. Sounds great.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 13
Honestly, the plug is a pretty moot point on something like a KSC 75, any decently made plug will be a-ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back