Fake ATH-PRO700
Dec 29, 2007 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

mthrsuperior

100+ Head-Fier
It looks like I've been sold a pair of fake ATH-PRO700s from an "authorized dealer".
eek.gif

I'm hoping someone here has a real pair and can compare them for me.
I suspect these are fakes because
a) the jack is gold not silver
b) the box has spelling mistakes on it
c) Audio-Technica is not printed across the top of the headband
d) the carry bag is a generic grey fabric bag without a logo
e) the build quality is suspect as is the sound
f) there were SPIDER WEBS in the right ear-cup !!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

It seems pretty obvious.....

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 40
Ironically, I just bought a pair today at Audio Cubes Store in NYC...

The jacks are nickel plated (says so on the box)... sound is pretty good to me! Bag is black with Audio Technica logo on it... sorry forgot to get a pic, if you need another, let me know. Click to enlarge, pictures all resized down to 1024x768 for web

Dec 29, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 40
Not sure but Audiocubes have been our sponsor and a very nice reliable place to buy from always here, please before comming across with an accusation of this kind try to find out first hand what is going on....any way therei s always a first time, but honestly I doubt that those are fake, they do not need that, they are legitimate and authorized dealers of all the products they sell...Sorry...

Dec 29, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 40
He said the Audiocubes ones were real. The OP apparently didn't get his from Audiocubes. So no attack on them in that post, even if there was it's pretty clear there is something messed up with his and I'm sure anyone else considering buying these would like to know. Of course the OP hasn't said where his are from yet.

Dec 29, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 40
Yeah, I think there was a misunderstanding. I have the real ones and I got them from Audio Cubes this morning... I even put up a positive review in their section of the forum! I've followed Audio cubes for YEARS, and it was crazy cool they just opened a store up here in NYC a few weeks ago, they've always had the coolest gear, home stereo/car audio, headphones etc...

Dec 29, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He said the Audiocubes ones were real. The OP apparently didn't get his from Audiocubes. So no attack on them in that post, even if there was it's pretty clear there is something messed up with his and I'm sure anyone else considering buying these would like to know. Of course the OP hasn't said where his are from yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthrsuperior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Ocelaris
That's exactly what I needed.
Looks he's sold a bunch of pioneer fakes too.

I'll let you know how it ends up.

This post was a little confusing for me, Ocelaris is talking of Audiocubes, and he was talking of "he", not sure, but I understood that he is accepting that Audiocubes is the dealer...Sorry if I misunderstood, but I have deal with Kohn a lot to know that he is a very nice guy....

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 40
To clarify. I'm the OP.
I've bought my ATH-A900s and a stand from Audiocubes who are first class all around.
The 700s are from eBay from a vendor claiming to be an authorized street retailer.
(A later Google Satellite view proved that to be BS!)
When I made the purchase the seller's feedback was fine but since then there's several negatives for fake ATs and Pioneers.
I'm not convinced he even knew they were fakes but he's behaving like an a$$tulip about the whole thing.

I managed to - brace yourselves - get a real person on the phone at PayPal and they're helping me out somewhat.

I normally would have looked deeper into it before buying but they were priced rather low (red flag! red flag!) and the auction was about to close. It was one of those late-night "oopsies"
I'll reveal the guilty party if need be but I'd like to give him a chance to make good first.
FWIW: I've done well over 1200 eBay transactions. About 30 or so for audio and have never had problems until now.

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 40
Sorry but the post was not clear enough, on where did you get them from, IMO you should have posted the source where you got those to avoid any misunderstanding, like you are doing now, not details, just like you did now: I got from eBay.....and so on....Audiocubes is one of our more prestiogious dealers around, I felt like really unfair any doubt about their reputation...

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 40
With respect to your point Sovkiller, I never mentioned Audiocubes who, as you know, are not the sole "authorized dealer".
I used the word "suspect" and provided some evidence for my concern.
I feel it would have been irresponsible to name the seller while a resolution is still possible nor did I feel it wise to mention eBay so as not to verify the misconception some have that eBay isn't safe.

Anyway, I've been lurking here for years and have nothing but respect for you and the community. Your point is well taken.
=)

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 40
It was a misunderstanding from my side, and I apologize, as I told you, but better safe than sorry...
wink.gif
There was some misunderstading some time ago with a dealer here, and I was involved in some way, and maybe I overreacted, sorry again...BTW nobody ever asked you to give any concise name, or place, just to offer a the minimal info that will avoid any possible kind of misunderstadings...

BTW the issue is still pending, or am I wrong? IMO there is not too many choices with scammers, trust me on that...the only way out is to make them public, and fight with the financial institutions involved...

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mthrsuperior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With respect to your point Sovkiller, I never mentioned Audiocubes who, as you know, are not the sole "authorized dealer".
I used the word "suspect" and provided some evidence for my concern.
I feel it would have been irresponsible to name the seller while a resolution is still possible nor did I feel it wise to mention eBay so as not to verify the misconception some have that eBay isn't safe.

Anyway, I've been lurking here for years and have nothing but respect for you and the community. Your point is well taken.
=)

Lots of people say they are "authorized dealers" on ebays. It's always best to take it with a grain of salt and check with the actual manufacturer's official authorized dealer list.

There used to be several people who sold Pioneer CDJ's on ebay claiming they were authorized dealers, but since Pioneer explicitly forbids ebay sales, that claim is rubbish. It's usually the same with other manufacturers.

In my opinion, Ebay = caveat emptor. It's so easy to establish accounts and rack up phony feedback.

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 40
Thanks Sov. We're cool. ><
My feelings were a little hurt =( but I understand your perspective.
Yes things are still pending.
The seller is being obstinate ATM but my bank protects me against fraudulent online transactions. I *will* get my money back one way or the other. It's just a matter of how many hoops I'll have to jump through.

As mentioned, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not. Until recently he only had positive feedback. That said claiming to be an authorized street retailer is unacceptable even if the goods were legit. This kind of thing really peeves me and I will follow it though regardless of the relatively small some of money involved.

I'll update as it goes as I certainly wouldn't want anyone else to fall prey.

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 40
I think I might have been sold some fakes too. My parents live in Austria, and I found some for sale in the UK. I bid and won them for just over $90 US shipped, and had 'em shipped to Austria rather than HK since it saved me like $20. My mom is going to be bringing 'em back in a week or so. I'm going to have them open the box as soon as they wake up so they can take a better look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back