fairly inexpensive, durable over the ear headphones with a full soundstage that don't require an amp?
Apr 3, 2015 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

threedaysgrace

New Head-Fier
Hello friends! I am looking for what i put in the title. ive looked at the sennheiser hd201, the shure srh 440, the shure srh 550dj, and the sennheiser momentum. im not sure if an 80 ohm dt770 or custom one pro from beyerdynamic would need an amp? Anyway, price isn't the most limiting factor here, but a good bang for the buck would be nice. what do you guys reccomend either from the ones i named or any headphone model, that are durable, over the ear, have a full soundstage, and that dont require an amp? thank you guys so much! 

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 15
  Hello friends! I am looking for what i put in the title. ive looked at the sennheiser hd201, the shure srh 440, the shure srh 550dj, and the sennheiser momentum. im not sure if an 80 ohm dt770 or custom one pro from beyerdynamic would need an amp? Anyway, price isn't the most limiting factor here, but a good bang for the buck would be nice. what do you guys reccomend either from the ones i named or any headphone model, that are durable, over the ear, have a full soundstage, and that dont require an amp? thank you guys so much! 

HD598s. Fantastic soundstage.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 15
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x hands down. As someone coming from HD600/LCD-2F...Love these little things... Cheap and built like a tank.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 15
  Audio-Technica ATH-M50x hands down. As someone coming from HD600/LCD-2F...Love these little things... Cheap and built like a tank.

Yes, but the soundstage leaves much to be desired..........

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 15
  Yes, but the soundstage leaves much to be desired..........

For a closed can it's much better than I thought it would be....

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 15
Did not like the AT50X. Tried to but uncomfortable and sound was just ok. Returned them. I would at least look at Senn HD430 or 449. Less money very good sound and comfort.The Senn Momentums are another choice and pretty cheap on sale.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 15
For open another + for 558s or 598.

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 15
+1 vote for the 558 (modded) or 598.

IMHO thats about as good a soundstage image as you are going to get unamped in that $100-150 ball park.  Its more of an intimate image though and its not as distant sounding and as far away as the better cans.

I think a 32 ohm DT880 could also be up your alley.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 15
thanks for all the advice guys, but can you really use the hd598's without an amp? im a bit skeptical because the headphones i buy are just gonna be used with my phone and laptop. i would imagine the hd598's would need a little more gusto to sound good, but i could be wrong.  anyways i appreciate all the help buds.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 15
  thanks for all the advice guys, but can you really use the hd598's without an amp? im a bit skeptical because the headphones i buy are just gonna be used with my phone and laptop. i would imagine the hd598's would need a little more gusto to sound good, but i could be wrong.  anyways i appreciate all the help buds.

It's only 50 ohms, and with a SPL/mw of 112 dB, you'll be fine. Of course, it never hurts to shove in an amp, but you won't be that far off.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 15

It should be OK... unless you are listening at a REALLY (and I mean painfully) loud level, but I would think at that point you should be more concerned with hearing damage, loss and tinnitus.

I plug my 558 into an older gen Samsung netbook and it gets ear-bleeding loud.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 15
thanks alot. very helpful. how does the sound signature compare with the momentums? i like to listen to rock music, primarily three days grace, and I want something really detailed,  and I like headphones that aren't completely flat, rather that have an emphasis on vocals/guitar and less emphasis on thumping bass. The shure se215's were problematic in that the bass drowned out other sounds and I couldnt hear instruments seperately, or clearly for that matter, ya know? would you say the hd598's fit the bill?

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #14 of 15
  thanks alot. very helpful. how does the sound signature compare with the momentums? i like to listen to rock music, primarily three days grace, and I want something really detailed,  and I like headphones that aren't completely flat, rather that have an emphasis on vocals/guitar and less emphasis on thumping bass. The shure se215's were problematic in that the bass drowned out other sounds and I couldnt hear instruments seperately, or clearly for that matter, ya know? would you say the hd598's fit the bill?

If you dont like bass then DT770's are probably out, but the HD598's should be good. As for amping, its recommended but it wont sound bad without it. Personally I think amps color/add to the sound of most headphones under 150ohm as opposed to driving them. ATH-A500X could also be an option, but might still be a bit bassy for your tastes

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #15 of 15
They will be fine without amp. But if you feel you need a little more volume a Fiio E6 amp might fit the bill. Amazing little guy. Great soundstage good clean power cheap under $30 and SMALL . Would be great with phone. Just a though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back