Fairly Cheap ($100-$200) IEMs In Canada
Feb 25, 2009 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

daghastlybeast

New Head-Fier
I've recently been trying to find a decent pair of medium-quality IEM's to replace all the cheap Apple headphones I've been going through for listening at home and on my iPod. It's really frustrating trying to get some decent headphones here in Canada, at least for me, as I can't seem to find any decent audio retailers around here that carry headphones, and there don't really seem to be any sites that offer Canadian shipping on headphones. I found that the Apple store has a decent selection (iPod Headphones - Apple Store (Canada)) and am currently trying to decide on a pair from them, since it is one of the few places I can find a decent pair.

I'm kind of leaning towards either the CX300 (are very bass-heavy?) and either the SE110 or SE210, but it doesn't seem like anything has really stellar reviews all-around. Any recommendations would be appreciated, on the Apple site or otherwise, but I need to be able to get them in Canada.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 17
Do you absolutely want to get it at a retail store? Because retailers in Canada (I live in Toronto) pretty much rips you off.

If you want to stay on the cheap side, then you can find the JVC Marshmallows as cheap as $10 at Winners, and at some select Futureshops they're having a clearance of Shure SCL3 at $59 which isn't half bad.

If you want to go high end, IE8's can be bought for a reasonable price here (compared to USA that is) at Canada Computers, if they ever have it in stock that is.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 17
good tip on canada computers. they also often have 3% cash price deduction. good luck. prices here are anywhere from 10-50% more than the states, sometimes even more so you may have to consider ordering and paying the duties and customs and taxes, handling fees etc: probably still be cheaper

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 17
Feb 25, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 17
I got my PFEs from Phonak's store. Shipping was $25, customs was $25. I used the save10 coupon so in the end it cost around $165.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by daghastlybeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess what I'm wondering now is; are SE110/210's worth it, or should I go with CX300, or something else in that price range that is fairly easily obtainable?

In the fall I was able to pick up pair of SE210s at Futureshop for ~100.xx plus $10 insurance on breakage etc.. at a Futureshop. Here is a tip when they go on sale and don't have any stock. Instead of asking for a rain check, buy them and they will have to get them for you. I did and my son uses them every where except at home where the Grado's rule. I have seen Ultimate Ears for good prices at Bestbuy. You can still find good prices in Canada just not where you think. I have found that places like Steve's music has good prices on the high end HPs. If you live in the GTA you will probably have more reasonable prices than other parts of Canada.

B
k701smile.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

I guess what I'm wondering now is; are SE110/210's worth it, or should I go with CX300, or something else in that price range that is fairly easily obtainable?

they're going for 70 bucks right now everywhere (SE110), for the incoming SE115. So yes I do say they are worth it. Alot of people will disagree with me but I thought for 100 bucks they were a solid IEM, now for 70 I think it is a steal.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Nah, I live in Vancouver. If you just go in to futureshop is there a decent chance they will have some fairly good headphones, because from looking at their website I was under the impression they only carried SK's and CX300's :s

If you go in they may have something not on the web page, check the flyer. If you see it online and they don't have it get them to bring it in by purchasing it immediately (no rain checks). There must be some guitar shop or something that may have higher end hps for a decent price. Just be patient and keep looking. BTW I bought mine from Headroom because I did not know anything when I got my IEMs. I ended up with duty, customs and that stupid $5-8.xx fee that canada post adds on. Good luck hunting (patiently) or roll the dice to see if package comes in with no taxes etc... I have ordered some bicycle parts and got nailed on a $20.xx order and a $150 purchase came right to the house no extra fees. Like I said crap shoot either roll the dice, wait for a sale at the big box stores. Lastly if you have the kohonas you can try and get a deal out of a stereo/guitar type establishment.

B
jecklinsmile.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 17
I don't think you can find any decent headphones in that price range if you're looking to buy them from brick and mortar retail stores..

Get some nice RE2's at head-direct... or PFE's if you don't mind paying the extra 25 dollar fees (which i didn't mind at all). Both people provided me great service along with excellent sound quality. Shipping was faster than i expected when i bought the PFE's..

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeboy999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
https://www.themacgroup.ca/store/ind...&product=NE-7M

Compare your prices from the USA and note that the above product ships without customs and duty fees to you (built in to price already).

B
dt880smile.png

doze be some nice price!

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you want to go high end, IE8's can be bought for a reasonable price here (compared to USA that is) at Canada Computers, if they ever have it in stock that is.

Don't bother. They never have 'em and can't give you a straight answer as to when they can get them if you order. I tried them and waited over a month. Frustrated I called and asked what was up and they still had no ETA as to when I would get them. Needless to say I canceled my order and went somewhere else.

Currently NCIX.com has them in stock. $349 CDN plus shipping and GST (no PST) so the cost actually ends up cheaper.

For the OP:

Perhaps you'd like the Nu Force NE-7M. I ordered mine directly from Nu Force and had them in a little over a week. I ordered them for my wife and no they aren't in a league with my Westone W3 but they sound quite good.....especially for a $49 USD IEM. I found them to be close to or as good as my UE Super.fi 5 Pro in terms of sound.

You can order them from here as well but their online shipping quote is out to lunch:

https://www.themacgroup.ca/store/ind...&product=NE-7M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back