Fair delivery
Oct 19, 2001 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

STRETCH

New Head-Fier
I work for a computer store in Australia and I’m in the process of deciding which Koss headphones to stock for the output of sound for computer gaming and listening to music.

I don't want to miss the mark and stock a product that is not recommended for the outlined purpose or not good value, so I’m chasing some informed advice from your esteemed forum on what's good and what's not so good.

These are the models we are considering and their respective Aus$ pricing:

UR/30 $85
UR/20 $69
TD/61 $69
TD/60 $59
KSC/55 $60

Most Koss models are available in Australia so feel free to recommend others.

Oct 19, 2001 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 34
STRETCH, none of those Kosses are horrible for the price (in Austrailia) that you're paying for - in fact, most of those models are actually decent. As for the Koss KSC-55's, the only person in either HeadWize or Head-Fi who has heard them (so far) is Mike Walker - he thought they sounded very similar to (if not the same as) the Sporta Pros.

Oct 19, 2001 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 34
What's the difference between the ur20's and ur30's other than the latter being collapsible? Is there an appreciable difference in sound quality?

Are they worth the price difference?

Has anyone heard the TD/61's?

Cheers for your help.

Oct 19, 2001 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 34
Many people here speak highly of the KSC-35s, but I have never heard them myself. Nor have I seen them here in Melbourne (haven't really looked that hard actually) so if you do end up stocking them I'd be keen to see what your RRP will be.

Cheers

sm
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2001 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 34
The favourite of the cheap Koss phones are the KSC35. They should be the first on your list.

Btw, whereabouts are u in Australia? Do you do mail-order?

PS.
I always wondered this, but was afraid to ask... do you know why Koss headphones cost ~50% more than US retail prices?
Even when I try to buy them direct from the distributor for my state.

Oct 19, 2001 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 34
Hey, I posted a fairly decent answer on the other thread...

yea, figure out if your customers will have extreme sound quality while sacraficing a little bit of durability/bragging rights, or if your customers would rather have gaming headphone positioning at the sacrafice of sound quailty, or have more portable gaming headphone positioning at the sacrafice of sound quailty.

Using "engineer's" definition of sound quality, IE, closest to the source coming in. With the KSC-35's and 50's and 55's, it's the fit; the tighter the fit, the more bass, which changes the "engineer's definition" of sound quailty (ie, 35 = right amount, 50's = a little on the light side, but changable with the sunglass strap mod, 55's = a little much). Not that I only have the 35's and 50's. The cord on both of those is too short without an extension cord--maybe you should supply one.

KSC-35's - most in sound quailty, puniest/least amount of bragging rights (they are fairly tough, however). Relatively good positioning.

KSC-50's - second most in sound quality, look cool, maybe you could include a sunglass strap with isntructions for the mod that makes them perhaps the most versatile of the group. Relatively durable. Relatively good positioning.

KSC-55's - third most in sound quality, probably pretty durable and good looking, pretty good bragging rights, relatively good positioning.

UR-20's - a tier below the KSC's in sound quality, but has great positioning, and exaggerated bass, and is durable and big.

UR-30's - slightly below the 20's in sound quailty, but can fold. Otherwise, the same.

Oct 19, 2001 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 34
Well, here's the thing....

for the most part, any closed headphone would be better than most open ones for positioning. I have the KSC-35's, and they are just OKAY as far as positioning though. Come on, they are small, open headphones! The fact that the 20's are closed and circumaural means that the image is in your head more, and is BIGGER in your head, so you can here, more accurately, where things are...

Oct 19, 2001 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 34
STRETCH, nice to see another Aussie here.

Just want to ask, where is your store located at? $69 for the UR20 sounds ok to me, since I heard Harvey Norman sell them for 70 as well.

Oct 19, 2001 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 34
With my very limited headphone experience, I have noticed that NONE of my headphones image very well out of my computer (All are open......like I care....
biggrin.gif
).

So......if headphones CAN image well out computers, they prolly should be closed OR open cans BETTER than 495s......

Oct 20, 2001 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 34
Dude! who says I don't speak from experience.

Okay. Try this experiment. Play some music that has some instruments in different places with the KSC-35's. Sounds good, right? real open, right? Now, cup your hands over the 35's. Make sure that you basically make them closed headphones, cupping your hands over the holes. Notice how the sound changes. Yea, the bass becomes boomier, but notice the soundstage. Instead of being so... thin and long, it is now squished inside your head. ALSO, notice how, those instruments? Instead of taking up so much space, they now take up a more clearly defined space...also, notice how the sound takes up the entirety of the inside of your head, so that now you have more space (front of your head, back of your head, etc.) to specifically LOCATE these instruments. It's like taking a wide, unfocused beam and focusing it into a narrower area. That's what I'm talking about.

Oct 20, 2001 at 3:51 AM Post #13 of 34
Well I don't have personal experience with FPS gaming with headphones, but since I got a friend of mine onto the KSC35 he hasnn't shut up about how his frag counts have gone up.

Guess your mileage may vary.

PS. Cupping your hands over the KSC35/50 does not constitute for real-gaming experience with UR20/30... don't automatically assuming the the UR20/30 will be better for 3D gaming.

Oct 20, 2001 at 4:53 AM Post #14 of 34
Dude, the fact that the UR-20's are closed circumaural headphones of at least mediocre quality means that, chances are, they will be better for A3D imaging..... hell, you don't even need the mediocre part (ie, sony cd380's). It's the type of design that works for this.

Oct 20, 2001 at 6:44 AM Post #15 of 34
Thanks for the help guys
smily_headphones1.gif

The ksc/35's seem to be one of the most popular headphones for their price around here, unfortunately they seem to be the only model not on the dealer pricelist I’ve got
confused.gif

I'll look into sourcing them elsewhere but at this stage
based on your recommendations we'll stock the ur20 for $69aus and the ksc/50's for $60aus.

As for the whole closed vs open debate for computer gaming, I’ll compare the 2 cans side by side next week and let ya know how it goes.

From the middle of next week Aussies will be able to purchase these headphones from us online or in store the relevant details can be found @

http://www.bestbuy.com.au

Users who are viewing this thread

Back