Failing with Foamies
Sep 17, 2009 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hentai11

500+ Head-Fier
I've been trying to get isolation out of my Klipsch Custom 2s. I've been doing okay with triple-flange tips, but I heard that I would do better with some Comply Tx-100 foamies.

Problem is, I get at best marginal isolation with the foams, in all sizes. What could I be doing wrong?

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 8
My T400s supply phenomenal isolation, almost to a point where I couldn't hear car horns right beside me.

You are definitely doing something wrong. Are you getting a good seal? Make sure to pull your ear back and open your mouth to further a successful seal.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 8
@invisible: I'm getting a rotten seal, even with the open-mouthed, ear-pull trick. Even with the large foamies, and holding the phones to my ears, they're leaky.

Then again, it might not be the foamies' fault; they're carrying Shure triples because ALL the stock tips failed to seal.

@mark: How are the Olives different from the Complys?

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Olives are of a denser material which should isolate better. It is also is a bit firmer- when expanding into your ear, therefore it shouldn't leave any gaps in the contours of you ear.

Not to mention, they're washable and very durable. they'll outlive a comply.

However, you may just have significantly different shaped ear canals. Have you gotten satisfactory isolation with any IEM before?

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Shure black foams are wider than Comply's more tapered shape. They also don't wear out nearly as fast, and are easy to clean.

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 8
This may seem like a silly question...are you trying to put them in far? I have a pair of custom 2s that only the stock double flange, or ety triple flange get a good seal with deep insertion. With other tips, I get a good seal with shallower insertion (what I think Klipsch calls "float" in the manual)

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #8 of 8
@dnullify: I get good seal all the time, as I use IEMs exclusively. (They're a blessing to distance runners.) In fact, the Custom 2s are the only IEMs I've EVER had this trouble with, and even they work with the silicone triple-flanges.

@jawek: Shallow insertion is leaky for me, until the phones pop out of my ears. I don't use the stock tips at all. Useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back