Fahrenheit 451 redux, aka acute irony deficit
Oct 10, 2006 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

eyeresist

500+ Head-Fier
I thought this one must be a joke, but...

Parent criticizes book 'Fahrenheit 451'

Quote:

Alton Verm filed a "Request for Reconsideration of Instructional Materials" Thursday with the district regarding "Fahrenheit 451," written by Ray Bradbury and published in 1953. He wants the district to remove the book from the curriculum.
"It's just all kinds of filth," said Alton Verm, adding that he had not read "Fahrenheit 451." "The words don't need to be brought out in class. I want to get the book taken out of the class."

Alton Verm's request to ban "Fahrenheit 451" came during the 25th annual Banned Books Week. He and Hines said the request to ban "Fahrenheit 451," a book about book burning, during Banned Books Weeks is a coincidence.

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 24
I know, my husband was reading me that little jewel of news the other night. Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

"It's just all kinds of filth," said Alton Verm, adding that he had not read "Fahrenheit 451."

Just stunning. Absolutely hilarious. Not only A fantastic irony, but he hasn't even read the book! Magnificent. Reminds me of "the destructors" debate in "Donny Darko"

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 24
Reminds me of the protests over LOTR: The Two Towers. When people said that Peter Jackson was cashing in on Sep 11.

Fools.

Oct 10, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 24
Ughhh... I just had to read this for school. It wouldnt be that bad, but since it was read in school, the obvious point is to overanalyze every small detail to hell and completely wreck any and all enjoyment anyone might get out of reading.

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 24
First of all, I don't understand how a person that has read the book and has even a half functional brain could find this book threatening. Kids watch cartoons that have a higher level of "morally questionable" themes on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon.

Every person has the right to be offended, no matter how rediculous anyone else thinks it is. Good. Now in the same breath, every parent should have the right to decide what kind of information their kids receive. I bet that half of the students in that class have parents that would encourage their kids to read the book.

Personally, I don't think the book is that good. I don't even think that the themes were particularly intellectual. They're very non-comprehensive, IMO. Was the guy trying to make a political statement that spans decades? I hope he wasn't, because that would be awful presumptuous for an individual to think that he's qualified to do so.

I can appreciate 'Fahrenheit 451' as a story written by an author who had some steam to vent because it was his opinion that censorship was prevailing in our world. That was 53 years ago. Since then, I would say that litterature definitely has less censorship than it did at that point in time. When I was in highschool I was kind of shocked by the material I could check out of our school library. 'Fahrenheit 451' was an assigned reading book which we discussed for at least a month straight, every day of class.

I realize that I'm speaking as an ignorant American. I know not all of the world has it as good as we do in this regard. Anyhow, sorry about the rant, I know it is a little off topic.

**edit** - I think the worst words written in that book were 'damn' and 'hell'.

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Personally, I don't think the book is that good. I don't even think that the themes were particularly intellectual. They're very non-comprehensive, IMO. Was the guy trying to make a political statement that spans decades? I hope he wasn't, because that would be awful presumptuous for an individual to think that he's qualified to do so.

I think analyzing it will probably ruin it. Excepting the Martian Chronicles, Bradbury writes very little as great intellectual stories to make amazing points.

His stuff is to be enjoyable to read. If you're going to microanalyze F451, you'll be done in a couple hours. It's exceptionally straight-forward, and short. Yes, there's a message, but you can't miss it, there are no plots within plots, no characters that are modelled after real guys (like in ANimal Farm), etc.. I loved it, but it's no 1984, as far as a critical reading goes.

I find that anyone wants it to be banned absolutely delicious.

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie
I think analyzing it will probably ruin it.

I agree. There are those that would argue with us, however. For example, my high school freshman English teacher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back