Faceplate Work Advise?
Sep 1, 2005 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sinbios

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been trying to fit my pimeta into a serpac h65, and everything fits fine. However, I've already destroyed two face plates while trying to drill out the holes, either making them too big or off somehow. Is there a program or something that will help me make a faceplate design and print it out, so I can stick it on the faceplate and then drill? I'm on my last faceplate =_=

Sep 1, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 12
http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

Use their software to create a layout, print it on some label stock, cut it out with an exacto knife, stick it on the thing you are drilling and away you go.

And yes it's a lot more trouble then it's worth.... when a compass and some masking tape gets you same thing.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 12
use front panel express
biggrin.gif

i find with the serpac cases, if you don't have plastic specific drill bits, to get the really slow speed you will want (especially with the larger holes) a hand cranked drill to be the best way. i got mine for like $5. havent killed a serpac case since i got mine, and i killed almost everyone before it
eek.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 12
(Tangent's) Alps RK097 is a better match for an H65, IMO. With the Panasonic you might consider trimming all leads as short as possible or mounting it off the board, rotated 90'.

Although I don't recall if there's room or not, I'd also consider (in conjunction with rotating it 90') whether it's possible to notch-out the PCB enough that the pot drops down in front of it, sitting on the bottom of the H65 instead of on the PCB surface so it's closer to centered. The trace positions may not allow notching it out enough for clearance though, I dont' remember.

Sep 3, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 12
bah nothing wrong with those pots. i like em better then the panasonics. plus they make your front panel _SO_ much nicer with a pimeta in a h65!

Sep 3, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
bah nothing wrong with those pots. i like em better then the panasonics. plus they make your front panel _SO_ much nicer with a pimeta in a h65!

Me too, the panasonic just doesn't look like it's built to stand the test of time, plus having integral switch is very nice for a portable (optimized) amp.

Sep 3, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
Still, isn't 10k supposed to be noisy?

Isn't it the other way around, a higher K pot is noisier but "could" be easier from the source's perspective? I have the Alps on mine and think it does fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back