Eytomic? or Sennhesier for travel?
Feb 10, 2003 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

marmot

New Head-Fier
I am leaving the country very shortly and will be traveling extensively. And the only stereo I will posses will be my portable CD player. I need some suggestions. Since I will be on an airplane for long periods at a time the headphones most isolate noise, at the very least from the people sitting next to me. The only headphones I have listened are the Grado SR 60 and SR 80. My new headphones must sound as good or better than these, and considerably more durable. Right now my Grado’s are sitting on the floor needing to be sent off for repair. I have done numerous searches and have complied a list of headphones I am considering. I would appreciate comments of suggestions Sennheiser HD 280 pro
Sennheiser PX 200
Eytomic ER- 6
Eytomic ER-4

Random thoughts

Is the Eytomic ER-4 worth the money? How do they compare to the rest of the headphones on my list? Right now I am leaning towards them. But that is a lot of money.

Are the Eytomic ER-6 a nice comprise, or is there nothing like the original.

Are either one of the Sennheiser sets durable enough for life on the road?
Do the sound that great? I am somewhat a sound enthusiast, and I am going through with draw. I just sold my car, and the $2000 worth of audio equipment in it.

I will pay for great sound

One last thing, whatever I decided, It needs to be hear by Friday,

Thanks for any help

And I have probably already answered my own questions

malcolm

Feb 10, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 23
I have never heard Etymotics (not available yet in Australia), but I would seriously consider the Sennheiser 280 Pros. When I was testing headphones on a rack recently, I had in mind the 590s. There were plenty of Sennheisers on the rack, but the only pair that came close to the 590s was the 280 Pros.

The reason I didn't consider buying the 280 Pros however, was because they are closed 'phones, and I wanted open. If I wanted closed, I would definately consider them. Since you'll be on a plane I'm sure you're after closed as well.

A couple things:

- Last time I was on a plane, they ban discmans because they "interfere with flight equipment". Has this changed, or do you plan to listen discreetly?

- Might want to see if you can find an adapter so that you can plug your new headphones into the armrest of the chair, so that you can listen to the in-flight movies through your headphones and not the trashy 'phones they give you on the plane.

Anyone know where to get one of these adapters? I'm quite sure I've seen them before.

Prizm

Feb 10, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 23
Just get the ER-4Ps. You would buy the 280 and still wonder what those ER-4Ps were like, then you would have them and the 280s. :| Just go for the best the first time.

Feb 10, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 23
For an "enthusiast" I would thing the 4Ps would be a little much but for isolation and sound quality they will probably be your best bet. Buy them and don't look back!
Bobes

Feb 10, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 23
Sorry I'm confused....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2003 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 23
If you want total isolation, get the ER4s... I use them for traveling all the time (flew 140,000 miles in 2002). The only annoying thing is that you can't hear the flight attendants! When I'm listening to them, even with just faint music, I can clap my hands and not hear them. That's isolation!

Oh, and not to forget their biggest draw, the sound is amazing. Won't be disappointed with them. Does take a bit to get used to though (fit and having something in your ear).

Feb 10, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 23
Thanks for the replays. I was leaning towards the Etymotics 4Ps anyways and just wanted some conformation. Looks like I will have to give headroom I call tomorrow.

And bye the way I am probably the worlds worst speller.

malcolm

Feb 10, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 23
Definately go for the Etymotics, the ER-4P is most certainly worth the money over the ER-6
smily_headphones1.gif

The isolation alone is enough to make long trips more comfortable (they work great as earplugs too), let alone the quality of sound you'll get out of them.

Prizm - I think the banning of cd players etc is only during takeoff, and I'm not even sure they enforce this anymore.

Feb 10, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
Prizm - I think the banning of cd players etc is only during takeoff, and I'm not even sure they enforce this anymore.

that is indeed true. I had no probs using my minidisc during my flights to and from sydney at the end of last year. they just tell you not to use it during takeoff/landing.

the only thing you aren't allowed to use at all are mobile phones and the like..

Feb 10, 2003 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 23
etys all the way. I have the ER-4S and I am absolutely amazed each time I put them on. You are so in tuned with the music, its unbelievable.

I don't have a problem getting a good seal either. The trick for me was to kinda twist them in. Works everytime.

When I was first thinking of the etys, I was absolutely against putting anything inside my ear.. Now that i've had a few days to play with them, its not as bad as I imagined. After an hour or so, you can barely tell they're even there.

Feb 10, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 23
Sovkiller,

Whether you were kidding or not about that atomic bomb comment, I think that was totally uncalled for and not the least bit funny!

It seems to me that marmot is from a different country, just like you. Why does it matter AT ALL if he misspells a few words? I just don't see any point what-so-ever in bringing that up inside a headphone forum. If you want to get technical about this, I've on a number of occasions, seen you misspell A LOT of words throughout your head-fi existence. Also, Sovkiller, you need to work on your English grammar in order to better communicate with other members. Too often have I seen you confusing other people because your replies don't make any sense and are not written properly. But no one has said anything to you about this, have they...until now? You may be kidding, but when you communicate over a computer, it is NOT the same as face-to-face communication. People take things in entirely different ways. So before you go criticizing others about grammar, think that you do it as well too. Better yet, try not to judge a person for what he/she writes on a headphone forum. Good luck to you Sovkiller!!!

marmot,

If you're looking for extreme portability and tremendous sound quality, then look no further than Etymotic. Most, including me, would say that if you were to get the ER6, you would most likely get the ER 4 later on down the road. The reason being is because a lot of people end up falling in love with the Ety sound and want to upgrade. So it's best to just have the top quality model right away rather than buying both and spending all that money on the ER6...which could be used towards an amp. I have no doubt that you will love the Ety's. The only reason why you may not enjoy them has to do with how they fit inside your ear...some just find it too uncomfortable. If you order them from headroom, you can receive a 30 day trial period that allows you to return them if you end up not liking them. Good luck and listen to what people have to say around these forums...you can't get this information paired with such politeness anywhere else!

Feb 10, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 23
If you can live with this thing inside the ear, they are considered one of the best choices available and not only for traveling, but some people find them uncomfortable and preffer other kinds of cans, I suggest you to give them a try, and if you do not like them or can't live with them, just sell them to me at half a price.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 23
Actually I am from the US. But will be doing most of my travels out of Israel. You brought up a good point. Would I be better off to get the Ety 6 and an amp now, or the Ety 4 and maybe an amp a year or two down the road.

Feb 10, 2003 at 6:39 AM Post #14 of 23
Thanks zeplin for your warm words...
kiss.gif

Feb 10, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #15 of 23
i personally think the etys are worth every penny i paid for them..... and i'm a really cheap person.

I listened to them on friday on the lawn under snake path at school....

I was just lying there listening to music at really low volumes with my eyes closed. When I opened my eyes about 15 min later (no, i wasn't sleeping), there was a group of about 5 girls just screaming and laughing and I never even noticed. They were on the unattractive side, so i'm happy my etys blocked them out. Thank you Don Wilson and all you other ety technicians, you've saved me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back