EY YAH! SUPERDUAL? EY YAH! EY YAH!
May 4, 2004 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bobjew

100+ Head-Fier
EY YAH! EY YAH! Is an expression which is a throw back to my youth growing up in da Bronx. My dad would take us out to Chinatown every Saturday morning in NYC to get supplies for the household for the next week.

Chinatown in NYC was and probably still is full of groups of old Chinese bachelors hanging in restaurants or sitting out there on stoops. Whenever a shapely or good looking lady would happen by, they would wait until she passed and look at each other and go EY YAH! and depending on intonation she would then be rated and that would fire a debate about whether she deserved that particular intonation or not until the next hottie would pass by, and then the discussion would turn to that one and on and on.

I haven't thought of EY YAH! in a long time, which is obviously an exclamation (in Cantonese) of surprise and delight. Well, I have to tell you, the new SuperDuals are EY YAH! of the Highest Intonation-not coincidentally coming from a Chinese batchelor. If the production versions are as good as the RC3 I have, Xin's going to sell a lot of these.

This one's competition for the XP-7. The RC3 (still a prototype) is the only other amp that I know of that has a similar sound signature to the XP-7. (with 8610 opamps) it is warm, involving, dynamic, transparent. The soundstage is as large laterally like the XP-7, although not as deep or high. Detail wise, the XP-7 has a liitle better detail and resolution, and Bass-the bass on the RC3 is a little more wooly compared to the XP-7's, but not that much. The XP-7 is also more transparent but I'm not sure its 350 beans more transparent. As far as everything portable in between, forget about it, I'd say.

Incredible $ vs. value here. I think Xin should put this thing into a beautiful aluminum case at least twice as big and double the price.

The main difference in the overall sound as I see it is the sense of ease the XP-7 has over the RC3. I'm not sure if its my imagination but the little thing just seems to need to chug along harder. This might be because it's difficult to imagine such fine sound out of a little plastic box.

One little minus on my version is that it comes with some new switches. A new on/off (very small) and a new volume switch that seems delicate. The toggles for these switches are very thin and seem like they won't last. The new spring loaded volume switch is very intuitive and analog-like in its operation, slide left and sound goes lower; right and it increases.

I noticed today that Xin has yet another upgrade for the SD, something about a different way of doing the A-class biasing to get it even better. EY YAH!

May 4, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 18
no actually, ey YAH is usually used when the gun goes off to early, when the gun totally misses, or a pistol that doesn't transform into a water bazooka, or a fart that contains both air+debris molecules
ey yah is never used express something good

anyways, can you put the superdual in a mint tin? i don't like the plastic case at all, a superdual in a larocco quality metal case would be saweet

also what is the rc3?

May 4, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 18
RC3 = release candidate three

I would like to at least try out the superdual.

May 4, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 18
Good to see that you got some time with your RC3. I have been burning it in since Wednesday of last week and have been giving mine some well-deserved attention this evening. I am noticing a cleaner sound and more "full-sized" delivery out of the SuperDual RC3 compared to the RC1 and RC1.5 that I had been using for the past few months.

I thought I was going nuts when I was having a hard time telling the difference between the XP-7 (with AD797s) and the RC3 -- I guess it is good to hear that Bob is picking up the same things that I am. Right now I am re-acquainting myself with the RC1 using my ProPhonics 2X-S so that I have a fair basis for comparison with the RC3. I found it not at all fair to compare the sound of the RC1 which I tested with Etys and the E5 to that of the RC3 which has gotten the sweet treatment from the 2X-S exclusively. So far, I am noticing a cleaner high-end with the RC3 and a bit more bass extension. I am closing in on 150 hours of continuous burn-in with the RC3 and the sound is still settling down a bit -- I get the feeling that 200 hours is going to be the sweet spot on this one. One thing to be aware of, I had a bad 5-hour spell at around the 100-hour mark during which the sound got muddy and the highs were a bit crispy.

I have not had any issues with the switches and toggles. In fact, I find them easier to use than the previous versions. I can't wait to try out the production version with the spring-loaded on/off switch with the auto-off timer.

A brushed aluminum (or anodized) would be pretty damn sweet too. Maybe Xin can hook up his dedicated beta-testers with a special, limited-edition SuperDual in one of these cases. That would kick some royal ass. What do you think, Bob? Should we start to lobby over in "Cool Talk"?.....
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 18
Is anyone here going to the california meet? I believe ray samuels was going to that meet and he will most likey be bringing his awesome new prototype amp, the sr71, with him.

I am curious as to how the superdual rc3 would compare to it. When I was at the chicago meet, the sr71 completely blew me away! I thought I was listening to ray's awesome (over $2k) stealth (tube amp) until i looked down at this tiny amp no larger than a pack of cigarettes!
eek.gif

But anyway, if someone has a chance to A/B these, I (along with many other people) would be very interested.

Regards,
Dan

May 4, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the audioman
But anyway, if someone has a chance to A/B these, I (along with many other people) would be very interested.

I am a no-go for the Cali meet -- there was a chance that work was going to take me from DC to the West Coast that week, but fates are against me. I know that Bob is a Far-Coaster, maybe he is planning on it...?

It is quite likely that I am going to pick up an SR-71 from Todd when it is released and sell my XP-7 if they are close enough in sound. I will definitely be doing an A/B/C with the SR-71, XP-7 and SuperDual if the plan materializes. Especially if the SuperDual is not at release version in the next few weeks. But, from what I have heard this week, Ray has a fairly high bar to get over with the Dual. Something tells me he will get over it -- the only question is if the SR-71 is worth the 2X cost difference.

EDIT: The other chance is that Xin has an RC3 prototype he can lend out for the Meet. Or he could authorize one of the beta-testers to send out ours. I would want his approval before doing this, though. The case is a bit raw b/c he has been constantly making changes. Not sure if he wants a less-than-perfect case out for public comsumption.

May 4, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 18
Glad you can make it over to the S Cal meet, Chris, I was so impressed by the progress in sound of this RC3 I couldn't give it up to SarahLee just yet; I had an extra hour. Don't worry about the roughness of the case, we all know they're prototypes. These are obviously quickies off Xin's Dremel tool.

If anyone is interested in borrowing my SD for the S Cal meet, PM me and I will get it to you. Looks like its going to be quite an amazing Meet. I won't be able to make it, but here's wishing you all down in LA a great time and the norcal folks, gpalmer,neilpeart, et al leaving from here a safe journey and a fun drive down.

Joel: Oy vey! So much to do, so little time!

May 4, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 18
Actually, Bob, I am not going to be able to make it to the SoCal meet. My verbiage in the post made it sound like I was heading "out" there rahter than to count me "Out", which was my intention. It has been edited.

I really would love to get out there for it, though. There are some items that I would love to hear, especially the SR-71 in comparison to the RC3 SuperDual.

May 5, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 18
The RC3 is at about 100 hr mark of burn-in and I too, am getting a little bright spike in the sound. It should settle in a day or two. Not as much as the original version ver. 1 proto though. It does, however, occur around the same time. I am also using a different cable in the setup- the Headphile BlackCoral which is not as bright as the HeadRoom Straightwire, although even with the Straightwire the amp is not as bright as ver 1.

Chris, would you do further comparisons of the ProPhonics to Ety's and E5's with this amp as well as with the XP-7. Porta-phones are next on my list of upgrades. I had considered the E5's for a while, but thought the SD as well as the XP-7 ultimately synergized better with Ety's.

What are you thinking about the Pro's?

May 5, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 18
Funny....

I spent a few hours last night with the RC3 and the sound had gotten REALLY muddy. I thought that I had some sinus congestion that was causing the boomy mids and bass but, low and behold, the XP-7 (and even the iPod headphone out) sounded normal/great. I am at 160-ish hours into the burn-in and it has only shown up in the last 24 hours. I am sure that it will settle down with time and will continue to monitor the sound. I never caught the brightness that you are getting, Bob, but I powered right past 100 hours w/o listening to the RC3 -- it got 2 days to itself from roughly 80-120 hours.

I will be sure to post comparisons of all of the IEMs to the XP-7 and SuperDual as soon as the RC3 hits its final stride. Although, I am not sure that your wallet wants to hear what I have to say.
biggrin.gif
I love the 2X-S and find it a great mix of the Shure mids and lows with the better highs and detail of the Etys. I was partial to the e5 before I got the 2X-S and now find that the ProPhonics produce a more "audiophile" version of the Shure's "fun" sound. However, it seems in the UE Vs. Sensphonics thread over in the Headphones forum that the Shure fans tend towards the Sensas and the Ety fans upgrade to the (reportedly) more clean/analytic sound of the UE-10. The only catch is that there is exactly ONE person who has heard both of them, so take that whole thread for what you wish.

That being said, the 2X-S holds its own with the HD-650 and CD3000 in my eyes (ears). The presence of a hi-end sound with the awesome comfort and isolation of the soft Silicone material gives the 2X-S a leg up in a lot of ways against the full-sized Titans.

May 6, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 18
Just visited that thread. Joel, are you using them with the Maxed Out? Yes,

Chris I think we should petition Xin to provide that beautiful aluminum case. I'm for having some powder coated as well.

This would, of course, open up a whole new can of worms.

I'm almost thinking I could do a limited edition of those myself. I have some friends who can do that sort of thing. It could be a piece of cake.

May 6, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #14 of 18
I am all for a kick-ass housing for the Dual. We should try and come up with one even if Xin does not want to be a part of it. We could potentially buy the boards from him sans casing and get the casings done elsewhere (your friends)? I'm always looking for a bit of personal attachment to my gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back