Extremely LOUD tone over headphones
Aug 9, 2008 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Fetou

100+ Head-Fier
There is osmething wrong with my setup where some horrendously loud tone of feedback comes in through my headphones and is literally deafening and seems capable of doing permanent damage to my headphones and my ears.

It happens when I am in Ventrilo from time to time and the sound stops working after the tone is over and them comes back like 20 seconds later

The setup goes from an X-Fi through the ditial out flexijack to a converter allowing me to use optical to my HA-25D amp/DAC to my headphones.

Any suggestions on fixing this? Also, exactly how much damage can 3 seconds of ear piercing loud horrible tone do to a pair of headphones?

Any chance this is coming from the amplifier itself

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 3
im thinking, ventrilo might be trying to reconfigure the flexijack as a mic-in or something and its fooling the dac into going nuts
the total volume is hard-limited by the amp so its not like your headphones are suffering a power surge or something, unless like the volume control of the amplifier is affected by the interference from ventrilo
besides shouldnt this be in the computer as source section or something... i think it should, anyway

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetou /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any suggestions on fixing this? Also, exactly how much damage can 3 seconds of ear piercing loud horrible tone do to a pair of headphones?

Yikes! Watch out for your ears! 3 seconds is long enough at some volumes to do plenty of permanent damage to your ears!

Good luck finding the problem.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back