Extreme cold
Oct 25, 2009 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zentenk

Head-Fier
hi everyone,

I'm heading to Toronto around mid-December and I plan to bring with me some 'phones (UM3X, RE0, AD900) and I want to ask whether these would be able to function in the extreme cold, and would it do any damages to it.

Temperature can get down to -30 to -40C over there during winter

be great if anyone who lives in Canada or elsewhere cold can give any feedbacks!

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 10
Trust me, if you're going to be walking around in -30C to -40C, your head is going to be wrapped up like a newborn baby. And right in the middle will be your 'phones, nice and toasty.

Don't worry about it. Just keep your cables under wrap too.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 10
Toronto gets that cold?! just keep everything under wraps and you'll be good.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by zentenk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Temperature can get down to -30 to -40C over there during winter

!

Urgg, it was -25C here last winter and I thought I was going to die
confused_face.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 10
ya if its that cold out side you'd be all bundle/wrapped up and I think they should be fine

how ever if you are crazy engough to go outside with out several thick layers all over damaging your headphones should be the least of your concerns...

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 10
I walk all winter in the cold without a problem. Depending on the phone, I sometimes keep the cord outside my coat. It gets a bit stiff, but that's it. Never had a problem with the DAP and cold either.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 10
I just warm them up when my dog sled team hudles up.

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Put on a toque, problem solved. Besides, Toronto doesn't get that cold. The Canadian prairies and American midwest on the other hand... we had -63°C one winter :p (granted that was a freak cold snap, but still)

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put on a toque, problem solved. Besides, Toronto doesn't get that cold. The Canadian prairies and American midwest on the other hand... we had -63°C one winter :p (granted that was a freak cold snap, but still)

That's already VERY cold considering I come from a place where temperature never drops below 10C

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by betweentheears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just warm them up when my dog sled team hudles up.

I was wondering how long it would be before the first dog sled joke appeared. As predictable as ice during an Albertan winter.

Toronto doesn't usually get much colder that -15C or so. Of course there are always exceptions. It feels much colder because of the humidity of the great lakes, but that won't affect the headphones.

I regularly walk around Edmonton, Alberta in -30C to -40C and haven't had a problem with my phones. as RASeymour said the cord can get a bit stiff at those temps but once it's warmed a couple of minutes, not a problem. Besides, you may be surprised how little you are/want to be outside if it ever hit -30C in Toronto!
duggehsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back