Extraordinary Machine
Nov 7, 2005 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Daryn Alexander

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to start a thread on this to see what everyone else thought...of this AWESOME album by Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine. Years in the making with it's release set back until she found a sound she was comfortable with, it apparently worked. Most of the time, when artists are nitpicky, it ends up sounding like garbage. For once, this is not the case.

I had previously heard the leaked internet version of it and wasn't so hot on it, then I get this and it blows me away. It's the perfect mix of that classic feel she showed so prominently on When The Pawn, and the modern-angstridden-singer-songwriter style she had been judged for early on.

Beautiful album. I got the Dualdisc version (with cool jewel case) which had some great performances on it, even if she is a little strange from time to time.

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 11
I was a bit disappointed honestly. I think she lost some momentum artistically, she just took much time off, and wasn't really sure she wanted to come back and I think it shows. But then again, trying to live up to the really "extraordinary" When The Pawn... was inevitably going to be almost impossible. Still it's a great album for any other artist, but a minor mis-fire for one as talented as she. (IMHO)

Nov 7, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 11
I love the Fast as you Can performance on the dualdisc, that mandolin player was taking the title seriously. It's a pretty good album, I think it could lose a couple tracks like Red Red Red (purely skippable thus far).

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
I love the Fast as you Can performance on the dualdisc, that mandolin player was taking the title seriously. It's a pretty good album, I think it could lose a couple tracks like Red Red Red (purely skippable thus far).

That mandolin player is, I believe, Chris Thile of Nickel Creek. The guy is amazing.

I caught them on Austin City Limits once. They are a mesmerizing live band. Very good musicians.

Their first 2 albums are even available on Hybrid SACD!
icon10.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 11
i love fiona apple i got the leaked version, however is the whole album completely different or just a couple of songs? so far i know "oh sailor" is one of the changed songs and is slightly different in tune (i prefer the leaked version of that one)

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman
That mandolin player is, I believe, Chris Thile of Nickel Creek. The guy is amazing.

I caught them on Austin City Limits once. They are a mesmerizing live band. Very good musicians.

Their first 2 albums are even available on Hybrid SACD!
icon10.gif

Chris Thile is a musical genius with that thing, I swear. I especially like his solo work on his album "The Great Deceiver". Has a very jazzy type feel to it at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back