External soundcards
Nov 21, 2005 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

huzzahhuzzah

New Head-Fier
I am setting up a computer-driven home audio system, and am looking for some advice. I am not a gamer, but take music seriously. I have ~100Gb of mostly high-bitrate mp3s and maybe 600 CDs I have yet to digitize. My mp3s are on a server in my office in the back of my apartment. My main stereo, however, is in the living room. I have a basic CD/DVD player, an Aragon preamp, a hand-made tube amp, and two Vandersteen 2Ce speakers. This is 2-channel stereo and I have no intention of spending the $$$ it would take to improve the system.

I am looking for a good way to listen to my digital mp3s (on my server in back) on my nice audio system (in front). Right now I plug my iPod into my preamp, but this is annoying and sounds flat. I also play guitar, and would love to be able to record my incredibly amateur efforts periodically.

The best option for the money, it seems to me, is to use a spare laptop as a controller, to connect the laptop to my server via wifi, use iTunes to play my music, and then connect my laptop to my preamp with a good external soundcard. (Another thought is to build a desktop media center, but this is a bigger investment than I want to make these days).

First, I would love any thoughts on why this approach might suck, be great, whatever. Second, and more specifically, I am looking for advice on external soundcards.

My ideal soundcard would have a USB or firewire connection, RCA outputs (not just a headphone jack), a digital output, would sounds great, and would cost ~$150. There seems to be some dispute as to whether the unit should have its own AC power source.

I have been poring over these forums (and many others) for discussion of good soundcards. Many seem to be PCI-only. E-Mu does not appear to make external cards, and the Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Music (the only X-Fi in my price range) also appears to be only internal (and may have a low-quality DAC?). From my understand of Creative cards, the Extigy must suck. So my choices appear pretty slim:

1. M-Audio Audiophile USB
2. M-Audio Audiophile Firewire

Is there a card that I am missing?
Is my disdain for the Extigy rightly placed?
Is there a difference in sound quality between the Audiophile USB and Firewire? (The firewire is a little more expensive and appears to be more capable for recording, but my recording needs are fairly limited. The firewire is also newer, but newer is not always better.)
Should I wait?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

HH

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

The best option for the money, it seems to me, is to use a spare laptop as a controller, to connect the laptop to my server via wifi, use iTunes to play my music, and then connect my laptop to my preamp with a good external soundcard. (Another thought is to build a desktop media center, but this is a bigger investment than I want to make these days).

Urm, is the portability of an external soundcard important to you? If thats the case, you could have the U24 waveterminal for ~$150. (not sure if it has recording capabilities) However, imo its always simpler to look for an internal soundcard instead at this price point. (the emu 1212m, AP192, ESI Juli@ or 0404 even should have all the functions you need)

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 14
Have you considered getting a SqueezeBox? It seems like the best solution, when you already have the music-server and a wireless network. You'll need a another soundcard to record though, but the SB is said to have a great analog output, so from a fidelity point of view this is probally the best solution.

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Urm, is the portability of an external soundcard important to you? If thats the case, you could have the U24 waveterminal for ~$150. (not sure if it has recording capabilities) However, imo its always simpler to look for an internal soundcard instead at this price point. (the emu 1212m, AP192, ESI Juli@ or 0404 even should have all the functions you need)

Portability of the soundcard is irrelevant, so I'll look into the U24. I see what you are saying about internal soundcards, but I don't have a spare desktop computer (or the space to put it) in my living room. But I do have a spare laptop, so I'd rather just use it.

Quote:

Have you considered getting a SqueezeBox? It seems like the best solution, when you already have the music-server and a wireless network. You'll need a another soundcard to record though, but the SB is said to have a great analog output, so from a fidelity point of view this is probally the best solution.

The SqueezeBox is intriguing, but a little out of my price range. These things also look like their screens are really small. I have a fairly large music collection and have been a little put off by the interface.

HH

Nov 22, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #7 of 14
I use the U24 in my computer rig, but connect it to an external DAC (two actually, I seem to collect the things). It seems extremely solid and well made but have never listened to the onboard DAC.
I just set up a music server for my main system using an old lap top, two external hard drives (I have too many CD's and only use Lossless) and the Microdac and the quality is amazing, often rivaling my Redbook gear (an older Theta DataII and a Perpetual 1A/3A combo) which says a lot. I'm very impressed with the Microdac. If it is too rich for your blood a new option is the Firestone Fubar II USB DAC (yes, I've ordered one), only $147 delivered. They are in Taiwan, but are a Sponsor here, and their other products are generating some buzz, maybe you want to check them out.

Nov 22, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 14
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm confused about how the DACs actually work. Could I just hook my laptop up to the MicroDAC or the Firestone, or would I also need to get a proper soundcard? If these take a USB (or firewire) digital input from an ordinary Windows XP laptop and output high-quality stereo through RCA jacks, this is probably the route I will take (the recording thing is not a big deal).

Also, I have no need whatsoever for portability. So if there is a good USB DAC for less money that happens to be bulky, that's cool with me.

Anyway, thanks all for the advice. The Firestone is indeed intriguing as it looks like a well-made product at a decent price, though I may wait until I see more head-to-head reviews against the MicroDAC.

Dec 2, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by huzzahhuzzah
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm confused about how the DACs actually work. Could I just hook my laptop up to the MicroDAC or the Firestone, or would I also need to get a proper soundcard?

Bumping this question, and adding another one: do you have to pair the DAC with an amp?

Jan 24, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by konstantinos
Quote:

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm confused about how the DACs actually work. Could I just hook my laptop up to the MicroDAC or the Firestone, or would I also need to get a proper soundcard?

Bumping this question, and adding another one: do you have to pair the DAC with an amp?

A final bump. Someone out there should be able to enlighten us!
etysmile.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 14
A DAC with a USB input functions, essentially, as an external soundcard. The audio signal is sent digitally, via USB, to the DAC, where it is converted to analog and output, typically via either RCA or mini. So, if your using such a DAC (like the micro or the Firestone) you don't need an additional soundcard. Hope that helps.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremynwolf
A DAC with a USB input functions, essentially, as an external soundcard. The audio signal is sent digitally, via USB, to the DAC, where it is converted to analog and output, typically via either RCA or mini. So, if your using such a DAC (like the micro or the Firestone) you don't need an additional soundcard. Hope that helps.

That was much helpful, indeed! Thanks!

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm confused about how the DACs actually work. Could I just hook my laptop up to the MicroDAC or the Firestone, or would I also need to get a proper soundcard? If these take a USB (or firewire) digital input from an ordinary Windows XP laptop and output high-quality stereo through RCA jacks, this is probably the route I will take (the recording thing is not a big deal).

Also, I have no need whatsoever for portability. So if there is a good USB DAC for less money that happens to be bulky, that's cool with me.

Anyway, thanks all for the advice. The Firestone is indeed intriguing as it looks like a well-made product at a decent price, though I may wait until I see more head-to-head reviews against the MicroDAC.

I have the Micro DAC, and it works fine when pluged directly into the USB port of my laptop. In order to get it to work, you do have to use a player like foobar2000 and download an additional plugin, then download a generic ASIO driver for a USB soundcard. The Firstone DACs have RCA outputs and no headphone outputs, while the Micro DAC has an 1/8 inch headphone output but no RCA outputs.

Quote:

I know that if you're doing: computer --> foobar2000 ASIO or kernal streaming --> Micro DAC --> fairly easy to drive headphones (ie something like 50 ohms), the Micro DAC will be able to put out enough power to drive them reasonably well (it's a relatively powerful line out
basshead.gif
), but in order to really hear how good the Micro DAC can be, it must be paired with some amplification.
580smile.gif
It's also MUCH more convenient to use the knob on the amp than to have to bring back up foobar2000 to adjust the volume. Of course, with low impedance headphones a cheap cmoy would certainly be powerful enough.

Jan 24, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by eboomer
I know that if you're doing: computer --> foobar2000 ASIO or kernal streaming --> Micro DAC --> fairly easy to drive headphones (ie something like 50 ohms), the Micro DAC will be able to put out enough power to drive them reasonably well (it's a relatively powerful line out
basshead.gif
), but in order to really hear how good the Micro DAC can be, it must be paired with some amplification.
580smile.gif
It's also MUCH more convenient to use the knob on the amp than to have to bring back up foobar2000 to adjust the volume. Of course, with low impedance headphones a cheap cmoy would certainly be powerful enough.

Thank you for the detailed info.

I've got a pair of BeyerDynamic DT 440s (impedance: 32ohms) and a Porta Corda MkII, and I'm eyeing the Firestone Fubar II -- when my wallet permits, we'll see!
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back