external soundcards
Jun 22, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #16 of 19
If I connect a Grado SR325 directly to a DAC that's connected to a computer sound card, will there be sufficient volume output to drive the Grado headphone? Also, would it make sense to input the signal from such a DAC to a good tube stereo amp. in order to listen with an AKG K1000 headphone?

Quote:

Originally posted by markjia

Most sound cards provide digital output (usually in a coaxial jack), this is then connected to the seperate DAC. The amp/headphones are then connected to the DAC.

Jun 22, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #17 of 19
Some DACs may provide enough raw power to drive the Grados to sufficient levels (especially the Art DI/O), but they are not intended to be used in this manor. A seperate headphone amp would provide much better sound.

The AKG K1000s definately require a seperate amp, and yes, the amp should be connected to the DAC in the manner you described.

Jun 22, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #19 of 19
Here's my computer setup, FWIW.

For getting sound into the computer:

Input devices:
Music hall MMF2.1 table/Grace 707 arm/Shure V15 type Vmr cartridge
Sony cassette deck
Apex AD600A DVD player

All of these connect to an Adcom GFA-565 preamp. The preamp has a processor loop, which can be engaged to send analog output to an ART DI/O DI/O converts analog to digital.

The digital signal goes to a digital daughter board of a Hoontech digital XG sound card. This card is based on the Yamaha XG chip set, and write to hard disk without resampling.

Getting the signal out:

Hoontech Toslink out to Monarch DIP (coax out from Apex goes to DIP also, if I want to bypass computer completely). The Hoontech WILL resamply output if there is no signal at the digital input, however, if there's a signal at the input the Hoontech will take it's timing from the DI/O. Monarchy DIP goes to digital input of ART DI/O. Analog output from DI/O goes to the Adcom. Musical Fidelity X-Can V2/Sony CD3000 sits on one of the tape monitors of the Adcom.

The setup is more geared to getting a clean analog to digital input into the computer, for burning onto CD than it is for playback from computer. However, it's also a decent sounding playback device as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back