External Soundcard
Aug 9, 2005 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JeroendeV

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Am looking into a new sound source, since i really detest the AV-710. I have a Shuttle barebone, so for several reasons I would like to try an external sound source.

Now, I would prefer one with a good headphone jack & volume control, 4x line outputs (two for standard bookshelves to listen to, and two for my tv, as i watch movies from harddrive on tv via S-video, but still need to connect sound).

I'm also an avid gamer so if it would work with a lot of games that would be great. Also, my usb ports are all being used so firewire is preffered.

My eye has fallen on the M-audio firewire audiophile, do you think that is a good choice to make? The creative audigy NX is also attractive but doesnt have as much features as the audiophile i think,

Let me know what yall think,

Jeroen

Aug 9, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 6
There are many threads on this, but the consensus is: there are no good external soundcards/headphone amp combinations. Your best bet is to get a good external soundcard and a separate headphone amp. I think there are a couple people here who like the Apogee Mini-DAC (I.E. the headphone amp as well as the DAC part of it), but I haven't heard it myself.

Aug 10, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 6
Well, you might try a USB headphone amp. Mine (Headroom Desktop Amp, Headroom Micro Stack, and the Grace m902 - all from Headroom) just arrived tonight to demo, but so far, the amp portion of the Desktop Amp (maxed options with matching Power Supply) and Grace m902 have both been rather good. I don't have a mini-to-mini cable yet, so no MicroAMP for tonight. I also haven't tested the digital yet - no USB cable. Pathetic, yes, but I'll post more when I've had a chance to let them warm up, break in a little, and have the proper cables and set up.

Other than those, and the Apogee MiniDAC, and (to a much lesser extent) some professional recording solutions like those listed in my post here, you're looking at separates.

Aug 10, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 6
The Philips Aurilium PSC805 sounds so much better than its price.
Don't install the driver from the CD yet.
Just use Windows USB sound driver and you'll be surprise by its sound quality.
Highly recommended.

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #6 of 6
First off, why didn't you like the AV-710? FW sound solutions tend to be of the higher quality variant with higher pricing as well. Bang/buck is usually better for internal cards - check out the prices on Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1LT, Terratec Aureon Space and M-Audio Revolution 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back