External Soundcard with accurate clock?
May 9, 2007 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

juzmister

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,
my Storm doesn't like to play with my Macbook Pro, the Storm doesn't resample (reduces jitter), but instead there are artifacts all over the place. Can anyone recommend an External transport with an accurate clock?
Justin

May 10, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 6
I don't think it's an accurate clock you're looking for. Regardless of whether your DAC's receiver IC attempts to derive a clock from the incoming signal or impose a clock on the signal, the problem you're describing is an inability to lock. Most likely the analog PLL components of your DAC are out of spec.

May 10, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 6
The lock light comes on, on the front of the DAC. It sounded fine with a DVD player, artifacts pop up when I use my laptop...

May 10, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 6
I turned on Kernal Streaming, put it on 16bits and the artifacts have gone...Weird...But, this DAC sounds great!

May 10, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's an accurate clock you're looking for. Regardless of whether your DAC's receiver IC attempts to derive a clock from the incoming signal or impose a clock on the signal, the problem you're describing is an inability to lock. Most likely the analog PLL components of your DAC are out of spec.

I think the DAC has a very similar circuit to this - the receiver is slaved to the onboard clock.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2.../nidac_ah7.jpg

So its "reclocking" will definitely suffer if the source and local clocks are drifting too quickly in respect to each other - there will be a lot of repeated or dropped samples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back