External Sound Card vs USB DAC?
Aug 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shonor6

Head-Fier
Will be connected to a laptop. I have the M-Audio BX5's which I usually use and sometimes I use the Audio Technica AD-700.
My budget is around $70-$100. So which would produce a better sound quality?

More details: it'd be nice to have the option of connecting a sub-woofer in the future. It'd also be nice if I could connect my headphones without disconnecting the speakers.

So what do you say?
Thanks.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 5
Not sure you gonna get that within that budget.

You can get a decent DAC for 100usd, and for around 150-200usd you can get a good DAC/headphone amp.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Will be connected to a laptop. I have the M-Audio BX5's which I usually use and sometimes I use the Audio Technica AD-700.
My budget is around $70-$100. So which would produce a better sound quality?

More details: it'd be nice to have the option of connecting a sub-woofer in the future. It'd also be nice if I could connect my headphones without disconnecting the speakers.

So what do you say?
Thanks.

Fiio E10, USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier ($70), also comes with a line-out for connecting to the M-Audio BX5.
I'm guessing you will need a mini-jack (3.5mm) to TRS cable to connect the E10 to the speakers.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I have the 3.5 to TRS. I was actually about to buy the E10, but I just wanted to make sure that the sound quality will be better than say, this sound card.

I would "assume" the E10 comes with a better DAC & Amp.

Also I would to not bother adding a sub-woofer to the setup.
Maybe if you bought an external DAC with a headphone output and two sets of line-outs, you could add a sub-woofer
or a receiver with pre-outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back