External Sound Card - Can't seem to find what I'm looking for
Apr 14, 2009 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bballbuck

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone

So I'm looking for an external sound card. I've been looking at a lot of the more popular ones and none of them seem to have all of the features that I'm looking for so I was hoping you guys would be able to recommend one.

Right now my set up goes like this: Laptop>Zero DAC/Amp (via optical)>KRK RP5/Grado SR-80.

I'm very happy with this set up but I have decided to add an external sound card to the set up to aid with recording music.

So basically I need a USB external sound card with an optical output and at least 1 1/4inch input (for guitar). I would also like to stay around $100 with this, but if I need to spend more, I will.

To me, it doesn't seem like this should be hard to find but maybe I am just looking in the wrong places.

Thanks for any help

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 6
Apr 15, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 6
What about Xonar U1?
Newegg.com - ASUS 90-YAB600S-UAY00+ 5.1 Channels 48KHz USB Interface Xonar U1 Silver Audio Station - Sound Cards

Product Rating:
goldegg.gif
goldegg.gif
goldegg.gif
goldegg.gif
goldegg.gif

Total Reviews: 4

Apr 15, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 6
Tascam US-144. All that AND a bag of chips.

TASCAM

Unfortunately a bit north of $100. Maybe you can score a good deal on a used unit from ebay?

The US-122 or US-122L would do everything but the digital output.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was originally thinking the E-MU 0202 would work, but it doesn't have digital passthrough.

EMU digital interface are just what I'm thinking (I'm refraining from calling them sound card because people buy them and not use all the features then get disappointed.)

Actaully if you don't need recording and output digital signal, I suggest getting the E-MU Tracker Pre which doesn't cost much more than 0202, but it can provide phantom power from only USB power. If you need digital recording you'll have to spend more for the 0404USB.

I wish I could afford a good firewire interface instead, but at the price range of $200 I don't see anything with bettter offer than the 0404USB. There is the M-Audio Firewire Solo, but I decided against it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back