External power supply connections
Sep 10, 2001 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Possum

500+ Head-Fier
I'm planning on making an external power supply that I can use with all of my amps, one at a time, like how the X-PSU can work with all of those different Music Fidelity units. The circuit I currently plan on using is the dual supply Kevin Gilmore uses for his Class A amp for dynamic headphones, except I plan on using a LM350 with its counterpart, and limiting the current to maybe 2.5-3 Amps (since the LM350 only outputs 3A anyway).

What's the most practical way of connecting the dual supplies from the external PSU to the amp, with V+, V-, and ground connections? One amp will only use V+ and ground (Szekeres), others will use all 3 (Apheared #42, and future amps).

Sep 10, 2001 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 8
What is the Compliment to the LM-350 i was unaware of one, but it's been awhile since i checked on this. Have you checked into LTC's Lt-1085CT & LT1033 CT ? These are the fav of most High End Audio designers. For a cable for your PSU i would uswe a 5 pin DIN connector. ready made cables are available for this and the Chass mount Jacls are also. Nice Neet Pro-looking method.

Sep 10, 2001 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 8
I just looked it up, and the counterpart of the LM350 would be the LM333, but it looks like the LM333 only comes in TO-3 packaging. Actually, the LM150 would probably be a closer complement of the LM333 since both have operating temperatures from -55C to 150C, where the LM350 is only 0C to 125C. I only mention LM350 because I already have a few.
tongue.gif

I'll definitely check out those other regulators you mentioned though, as soon as my school's Internet stops being so finicky.

Thanks for the suggestion of the DIN connector. That seems like it'll be good to use, and not much trouble to replace my existing 2.1mm DC jacks.

Sep 12, 2001 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 8
double ditto on the XLR's. (just don't confuse them with your preamps balanced output. Poof!)

Sep 12, 2001 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 8
XLR's might be too big for me to handle
tongue.gif

One of the 2.1mm DC jack's I'll be replacing is on a steel case, and I already wore down multiple Dremel bits to grind holes that were larger than the 1/4" drill bit I have.

What would be recommended for the PSU's on/off switch position? In series with the hot wire of the AC input, the output of the transformer, the output of the diode bridge, etc.?

Sep 12, 2001 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

double ditto on the XLR's. (just don't confuse them with your preamps balanced output. Poof!)

Just had a mental picture of my DIY stuff turning up for sale after my passing and someone purchasing it and saying What ?
Where is the manual ?

evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back