External Headphone Amp for Audio Interface?
Jan 18, 2010 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

potcryan

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking to get an external tube headphone amp such as the Little Dot MKII or III and was wondering how I'd go about hooking it up to my Digidesign 003R audio interface. In case you guys aren't familiar with the 003, heres a snapshot of the back:

750-003R_rear.jpg

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 8
What kind of outputs are those? If 1 is a stereo 1/4" or 1/8" then a 1/4 or 1/8 to stereo RCA should do the trick. If 1/2 are mono outs, then 1/4 or 1/8 to mono RCA for 1 and 2?

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 8
If you are going to use the Windows media player for example; under tools, options, then devices and then click on speakers and what audio devices does the Windows media player sees? You may have software installed that shows what two mono outputs can be used in a stereo pair.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by potcryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I'm looking to get an external tube headphone amp such as the Little Dot MKII or III and was wondering how I'd go about hooking it up to my Digidesign 003R audio interface. In case you guys aren't familiar with the 003, heres a snapshot of the back:

You have mono 1/4 phone jack outputs TS or TRS. My guess would be TS...
You can get a can amp and use adapters and cables to go from out 1/2 to the headphone line input. Just configure the system to use out 1/2 for playback. You shoudl have quite a list of outputs for that device.
If you record chances are you have a large box of cables and adapters.

With such a device there are many,many ways to go about this just depends on what else you have going or what else you want to do. Check your manual for the Main monitor out also, see if it is line level. Should be but doublecheck as you can use that also.
You could always go with a DAC/Amp and connect to the S/Pdif output also.
Nice interface BTW.

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I read the manual (should've done that in the first place) and line outputs 1-8 are TRS and output at +4dB so I imagine I'd need some type of inline attenuator before going into a -10dB amp. Since I'm only using the main output for my monitors I think I'll use the alternate mains for an external headphone amp.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 8
There should be switches to change the level, from recording to consumer.
I mentioned the mains but you didn't mention you were using monitors on that out so yeah you can use the alt mains. Your manual should have connection diagram for different types of connections. Happy recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back