External HDD access from DAP?
Aug 17, 2007 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

big_lou

Head-Fier
Trying to revive this old thread from DAPreniew:

Quote:

"I know there are several devices that can access files on external hard drive using USB host, but can any of them play the music directly or do the music files need to be copied?"

Anyone know whidh DAP's can do this?

TIA

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 6
i don't know for a fact, but it seems if anything at all would support that, it would probably be rockbox, or a plugin for rockbox.

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_lou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying to revive this old thread from DAPreniew:

Anyone know whidh DAP's can do this?

TIA

hmmm...kind of sounds like the whole pictbridge setup with digi cams and printers, where you could connect a digi cam straight to a pictbridge enabled printer and print using the usb host system.

there is nothing like that, that i know of in mainstream daps, someone let me know if there is.

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 6
Actually, also from DAPreview:

"... surprisingly the Cowon A2 can now do this with FoxStream's features patch from iAudiophile. "

http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13959

I tried to follow the thread but it is over my head. I guess the key is to have a DAP that supports USB host to start with. Doesn't the iAudio X5 have this feature?

I would love to be able to access my 750GB external drive from a DAP instead of using my laptop.

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 6
the X5 and the Archos Gmini 402 support this... that's from the top of my head... i think the international version of the iriver H300 also did this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back