External DVD burner recommendations? info??
Jan 25, 2008 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

irjoe

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi,
This one is for the tech savvies, and i hope there are a few here on this board that can answer this for me..

Right now Im in a situation where I need a CD/DVD ROM for my laptop because the built-in DVD ROM crapped out on me and I cant replace it (or wont).

But instead I want to invest in an external DVD burner but i'm caught between getting 1)External DVD burner that is already setup, or 2)an external enclosure and fitting it w/ an Internal burner.

The problem i have is that I have no idea which is better, and even if i wanted to chose one over the other, I don't really have anyone to ask for recommendations, and i rarely trust the advises of the techies that work at places like bestbuy..etc

So looking at a cost below $100, what would be the ultimate setup for an external DVD burner (with enclosure or not) that is very solid, fast, and quiet? I do not need lightscribe but duel-layer would be nice.. but i don't really know the DVD burners that are out there right now.

Thanks a lot in advance guys, anything will help as right now, i dont know anything.
Cheers

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 19
This just showed up again on Hardforum's hot deals section. If you're in the US, this is the burner you want. Only $28 shipped so it leaves plenty of money for getting an enclosure. If you're not in the US, it's still an excellent burner, you'll just have to find somewhere else to buy it.

I have 2 and they're excellent. They come highly rated from sites like CD Freaks.

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 19
do you know what enclosure to get??

much appreciated
how long will the deal last?

Jan 25, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 19
I have an LG external drive that's been pretty good for me so far, the lightscribe is a nice touch although i've not got around to trying it out yet.

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 19
LG external drive encasing an internal DVD burner??
can you specify your specs?

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LG external drive encasing an internal DVD burner??
can you specify your specs?

No, it's a one box unit.

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an LG external drive that's been pretty good for me so far, the lightscribe is a nice touch although i've not got around to trying it out yet.

glad i saw this thread. thanks for the recommendation, think i will prob pick this one up

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif

went to buy this last week, says its out of stock. check today, says its a discontinued item...might have to go with the slim LG one, though its like $50 more

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 19
Feb 11, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #12 of 19
I am in a simlar boat as my notebook cd/dvd drive is going bad. I have looked around, and it seems like it is cheaper to get an external burner rather than a replacement for my internal drive with the same specs. I have found that the drives seem to cost more if they are internal replacements than i they are externals. Is that the general consensus?

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on a Mac, so I'll be using Toast for all my burning. On a Windows box you can use any burning program, so long as it sees the drive (which it should).

whats a good brand of cd-r's and dvd-r's that are litescribe discs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back