External drive enclosure as USB Host?
Nov 29, 2006 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking into getting a USB enclosure for an IDE drive. My question is, is there an enclosure that would also double as a USB Host device? I've found such devices for 2.5" drives, but not 3.5". My ultimate goal is to turn my PSP into a transportable, 200 gig PMP.

A side question: if there's no suitable enclosure that'd fit these requirements, is there some kind of device that'd act as the middleman and enable USB OTG that way? I'm interested in just about anything short of buying a laptop.

Nov 30, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 7
Most (if not all) 3.5" USB enclosures require external power because the USB specification does not provide enough on its own.

You could buy a 2.5" drive and enclosure and a USB hub. Plug the drive into the hub and the hub into the PSP. Then, prepare to recharge your PSP's battery every few minutes.
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most (if not all) 3.5" USB enclosures require external power because the USB specification does not provide enough on its own.

You could buy a 2.5" drive and enclosure and a USB hub. Plug the drive into the hub and the hub into the PSP. Then, prepare to recharge your PSP's battery every few minutes.
biggrin.gif

I don't care about the external power part, because everywhere I intend to use it has a power outlet nearby. And I already have a drive, so buying a 4th hard drive just for a PSP seems a bit absurd.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 7
Ah, so it doesn't necessarily need to be portable, just transportable.
icon10.gif

What exactly do you mean by "USB host device"? Is the PSP generally incompatible with USB hard drives, or are you looking for an enclosure with an extra USB port?

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly do you mean by "USB host device"? Is the PSP generally incompatible with USB hard drives, or are you looking for an enclosure with an extra USB port?

The simplest way to describe it is here.

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 7
Ah, I understand your problem now...

It seems like sort of a hassle since the only thing a USB On-the-Go enclosure will allow you to do is copy files from the drive to a memory stick. There's no current solution for reading files directly from an external drive.

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 7
I've just reconsidered this whole scenario, and it's pretty much impossible. The PSP has no file browsing capabilities, therefore the host would have to initiate the copying. So this whole thread is a waste of space. Move on people, nothing to see here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back