External DAC yes/no...what one?
Apr 9, 2008 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

trinkus79

Head-Fier
I've been toying with the idea of sticking a DAC between my auzen prelude and my Little Dot MKIV lately. I'm wondering if it would even make a difference in sound quality.

Here are the DAC's I've been looking at, anyone have any insight on any of these? I'd like to keep it under $200, but I can be swayed :\
Super Pro DAC 707($85) - Inexpensive, small, but is it any good?
Diyeden SVDAC04($160) - Good price, anyone ever use one?
Beresford TC-7510($150) - Tried to find info on this one, but all the threads are flame fests :\
Diyeden SVDAC05($250) - looks like it uses the best DAC chip, but it's kinda spendy.

That's all I've found so far, if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears. My only requirements are 24bit, and I don't really need USB.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 25
I think you're going to find a good match with your little dot in the price range you are looking. No sense in blowing the bank. The zhaolu 2.5 is well respected on head-fi though I would have to give the nod you to the Beresford TC-7510. Though the threads on head-fi have been going down hill, I've read in other source of putting that mighty little in top-shelf systems and everyone seems happy. I trust the sources enough but others on head-fi will only be happy once a source scrutinized by the supreme court (and the pope for good measure). You'll just have to trust your own experience. Adding to the discussion, I looked up your sound card and well it looks good I still think there's lots of benifit from pulling the DAC out of the noise enviroment of a normal work-a-day PC. And if I was in the position to need a dac for my PC the Beresford is the first one I would reach for. (I don't know if the Beresford does 24bit but I'm not conviced (meaning it's my personal view) about it's usefulness anyways.)

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get the zhaolu 2.5 on the sale forum now. it's probably the best dac for the money at your specified budget.

This actually looks like a pretty good deal. $215 with the 4398 chip. How big is this thing though lol it looks huge. Too bad I couldn't cut it in half and use just the DAC part
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 25
I think the jury is out on 24 bit, I mean it's a good thing in theory, but if your best source is ripped CDs, they won't use it, and up-sampling is dubious; there are those who think it creates problems, those who think it is a wash, those who think it's the greatest thing since TP on a roll.

Tim

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the jury is out on 24 bit, I mean it's a good thing in theory, but if your best source is ripped CDs, they won't use it, and up-sampling is dubious; there are those who think it creates problems, those who think it is a wash, those who think it's the greatest thing since TP on a roll.

QFT!

I feel the same way. There are so many designs on the market these days that go in the exact oppisite direction and sound just as good. How is one to decide? It might be make-or-break for the OP (which is fine, its not my money) but I wouldn't build a system around the idea. For my money I want a good output stage.

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 25
I guess I should have mentioned my reason for wanting 24bit. I watch movies as well as listen to music on my computer, so I want the DAC to be able to handle the audio from the movies as well.(Regular DVD and BluRay)

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tim

No, you've got the wrong end of the stick. Not to troll but this has been explained many times.

SRC and increasing the word length are very different as the latter has no effect on the sound at all l (i.e. 24 and 24.00 are the same number).

24 bit is not about changing the sound quality, but keeping it when you apply dsp (like digital volume control) by giving extra headroom.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by trinkus79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This actually looks like a pretty good deal. $215 with the 4398 chip. How big is this thing though lol it looks huge. Too bad I couldn't cut it in half and use just the DAC part
biggrin.gif

i see he dropped the price to 205 and it's 2.5a version with analog device chip, not cs. look like it has a clock and headphone amp module upgrades as well. size: ~8x10x1.5in... but u can pm the seller for specific details.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you've got the wrong end of the stick. Not to troll but this has been explained many times.

SRC and increasing the word length are very different as the latter has no effect on the sound at all l (i.e. 24 and 24.00 are the same number).

24 bit is not about changing the sound quality, but keeping it when you apply dsp (like digital volume control) by giving extra headroom.

OT: Well, thank you for not trolling so you probably deserve a respectful answer. Choosing a 16bit vs 24bit DAC is more a philosophical decision about one's headphone rig that positives about digital volume control. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying it comes down to what type of media you use, what sound you like, why your prorities lay, etc. Myself, and I'm guessing trink, just lean toward a different philosophy in regard to planning a system. If you think that means were wrong... well you have a lot to learn about subjectivity and head-fi. (But I don't think that's what you were saying.)

When I upgrade next year, I'm going to search out a source with the best possible output stage. Recently there is a long list of players that go in this direction, you do miss out maybe on some soundstange and ulitmate resolution, but I rather have the transparency and immediacy, which for me translates into more musicality, a filterless DAC provides. I'm open to the idea that 24bit sound is sometype of life changing experience, but so far the (immense amount of) comments on head-fi haven't done nearly enough to convince me I should change my buying habits. Perhaps this is a better way to view my comments.

Returning to the OP: At least we can all agree on the beresford. At least that makes it easy for you.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't agree on your arguments for 24bit but far be if from me to tell you how to spend your money. Again, on most output stages in the sub500 DACs one will be hard pressed to hear a different. 24bit streaming will become more readily apparent in the plus2000 price range. With your budget I just want you to get the biggest bang for the buck and I think that lies in the beresford.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... but I rather have the transparency and immediacy, which for me translates into more musicality, a filterless DAC provides.

I would agree with you on that one. About 3 weeks ago I was sent a mod that bypasses the fixed section of the audio output stage amplification circuit on my DAC. I tried it and since then I use it most of the time on most of my discs. The instrument and frequency separation is far better than through the audio amplification stage.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree with you on that one. About 3 weeks ago I was sent a mod that bypasses the fixed section of the audio output stage amplification circuit on my DAC. I tried it and since then I use it most of the time on most of my discs. The instrument and frequency separation is far better than through the audio amplification stage.

Sorry this reply is so late (and trunicated). Head-fi ate my first draft. It's strange how it just sort of creeps up on you. Reading in the press about transperency, I always considered myself a basshead. That is until I got my yammy which really seemed to step out of the way of the music. That's not to say there aren't 24bit DACs I could live with. Years ago I had a love affair with the Meridian G08. It still had a "veil", maybe calling it a "digital haze" is better, but it was still very musical.

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 25
Is the SVDAC05 better than the Zero Dac? It has USB, which would be nice, but the headphone output is on the back which is a bit less convenient. Is the CS4398 dac in the SVDAC05 better than the Zero's AD1852? I think I'm ready to order one of these, but I'm not sure which is better. Thanks for your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back