External DAC with 15" powerbook?
Oct 3, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #16 of 26
The AirPort Express is a very good solution. As a note, the combined optical digital output/headphone out is only available on the 17-inch model.

Best,
iDesign

Oct 3, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #18 of 26
With the airport express, you stream music over the network (ethernet or wifi), and then use the analog or digital out on the apx.

To the folks recommending the apx, is the analog out on the apx really better than the analog out on the powerbook? Otherwise, it's not a complete solution for less money for markot86 ...

Oct 3, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougwx12
With the airport express, you stream music over the network (ethernet or wifi), and then use the analog or digital out on the apx.

To the folks recommending the apx, is the analog out on the apx really better than the analog out on the powerbook? Otherwise, it's not a complete solution for less money...

And folks, the airport express is available for PCs as well as Macs.

Oct 3, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #21 of 26
I'm using an AirPort Express to stream ALAC to a CEC DA53 DAC. The DA53 has AES, toslink, coaxial and USB inputs.

I've compared the following two setups and find them to be excellent and comparable in sound quality:

ALAC played through iTunes streamed wirelessly to the AirPort Express -> mini-toslink -> CEC DA53

WAV played through foobar ASIO -> E-MU 1212m toslink or coaxial output -> CEC DA53

The sound quality of ALAC-> iTunes or WAV -> foobar Waveout through USB to the CEC DA53 is not bad, but I think it's slightly worse than the above two setups.

Also, both ALAC -> iTunes and WAV -> foobar Waveout through the 1212m's optical output sounds worse than through USB to the CEC DA53.

Oct 3, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #22 of 26
Many of the questions that have been asked in regards to the functionality of the AirPort Express can be addressed using the search feature and at http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/.

The AirPort Express is perhaps the most ideal solution for persons using Apple portable computers without a combined optical digital 3.5mm mini-Audio jack who seek to add this functionality. The AirPort Express works seamlessly with iTunes/ AirTunes. In regards to sound quality, I cannot comment on a comparison between the headphone out (minijack) of PowerBook G4 computers and the AirPort Express as there have been numerous changes made to the internal audio components from the PowerBook G4 15-inch (Titanium) through to the current G4 15-inch (Aluminum)--it is unclear which version of the PowerBook G4 is in question. It has been stated that the overall the headphone out (minijack) used in PowerBook G4 computers is typically good. I feel that no matter the version of the PowerBook used, the AirPort Express will reflect a worthwhile improvement (provided that the user is using Apple Lossless encoded files, and the Crossfade Playback, Sound Enhancer, and SoundCheck options have been disabled and the "Disable iTunes volume control for remote speakers" option has been enabled). If the user desires a cable free solution to obtain a combined optical digital output/headphone out for his or her PowerBook G4 and uses iTunes, I recommend the AirPort Express. If the user favors other USB type alternatives there are a myriad of full hog choices, but few as seamless/ inexpensive as an AirPort Express with iTunes.

Best,
iDesign

Oct 3, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #24 of 26
The one in question i believe is the titanium laptop, but oh well. What about the turtle beach micro advantage? it's like 20 bucks and it gives an optical out. I don't really understand how different devices can have different optical out qualities. If it's all bit-perfect, how could this matter?

Oct 4, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
The one in question i believe is the titanium laptop, but oh well. What about the turtle beach micro advantage? it's like 20 bucks and it gives an optical out. I don't really understand how different devices can have different optical out qualities. If it's all bit-perfect, how could this matter?

well, that's one problem - not all optical solutions are bit-perfect. i'm not sure about the turtle beach micro, but i do know for certain that the air express is bit perfect.

Dec 3, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #26 of 26
This unit has received excellent reviews in the print magazine "Stereophile" and the Webzine "Enjoy the Music." Gordon Rankin is an audiophile equipment and computer circuit designer who understands USB and how to maximize it for reduced jitter digital-to-analog conversion.

I have heard from Chris Own of Ack! Industries that he is developing a USB interface add-on to his widely acclaimed Ack! Dack! 2.0 DAC, another high-end audiophile quality DAC.

Both of these DAC units feature no upsampling nor any digital filters. Supposedly, these simple circuits connect you to the music and offer a high degree of musicality. I myself am planning to purchase a new Intel-powered Mac Mini (rumored to come out at the January 2006 Macworld Expo) and either the Wavelength Brick or the future-planned Ack! Dack! with USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back