External DAC vs Sound card
Jul 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

matar

New Head-Fier
Hello...

I'll be honest and start off by saying that my knowledge of audio, generally speaking, is limited. However, I do appreciate good quality music.

I currently own the Edifier s730 speakers and I was looking for a sound card to purchase. It seemed like it was between the Essence STX and the HT Omega Claro...

It all seemed clear until a friend of mine suggested that I look into external DAC's.

So if I had a budget of approx. $300, what route would be the best to take in order to improve overall sound quality?

Thank you

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I'll be honest and start off by saying that my knowledge of audio, generally speaking, is limited. However, I do appreciate good quality music.
I currently own the Edifier s730 speakers and I was looking for a sound card to purchase. It seemed like it was between the Essence STX and the HT Omega Claro...
It all seemed clear until a friend of mine suggested that I look into external DAC's.
So if I had a budget of approx. $300, what route would be the best to take in order to improve overall sound quality?

What headphone would you be plugging into the this external DAC (with built in amp?)?

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 6
None at the moment (or at least nothing worth mentioning) but I'll be looking to get the hd650's soon.

Then get a decent external DAC, something like the ODAC or Schiit Bifrost , then get an amp to give juice to your HD650's. The HD650's are 300ohms so they need a good amp to shine.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 6
The JDS Labs ODAC is very good for $149 brand new, and it's tiny. powers off of USB.
there is also the Schiit Modi for $99 but if you want to spend $300 or so... and want an amplifier as well, then you can either get amp+DAC unit in one, or a separate DAC and separate amplifier.

and if you do get one that is DAC+amp in one, make sure it has DAC only out so that you can use it with your speaker amplifier.

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 6
Here are some combos that may help you:

Schiit Modi > Shiit Magni.

Objective DAC > O2 Amplifier

HRT Music Streamer II > Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back